PT79.S1.Q22 - consumer advocate: economists reason

piotr.borowskipiotr.borowski Alum Member
edited November 2016 in Logical Reasoning 64 karma
I chose B without a second thought, also on the BR. I get why A, C, D do not work. I do understand that E is descriptively correct, but I still consider the claim in question to be a conclusion, therefore making B acceptable. Could you please persuade me that the claim is in fact not a conclusion?
This is my reasoning for its being a conclusion:
Willingness to pay is not proportional to need, since in the real world, some people simply cannot pay as much as others. As a result (of the fact that 'in the real world, some people simply...), a price increase will allocate goods to the people with the most money, not to those with the most need.

Comments

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 175 karma
    When you read the last sentence, and apply the JY "why test", then you can see that you are justifying this sentence with "willingness to pay is not proportional to need". Willingness...is just a subsidiary conclusion with support that in turn supports the conclusion. Since the first part of the argument is making an assumption that willingness to pay more is equivalent to need, the "willingness to pay is not proportional to need" is sabotaging this assumption, and this is what we need in order to conclude that price increase does not allocate goods to people with the most needs but those who have the most money. Hope this helps
  • piotr.borowskipiotr.borowski Alum Member
    64 karma
    I think I got it. Thanks!