Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fall in love with something you detest

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited November 2016 in General 10774 karma
Hey everyone,

I think we all face during our LSAT prep a particular dislike for a certain question type or a section. For me it was Necessary Assumption questions. I was doing a couple of Necessary Assumption questions today and I realized how much I have come to enjoy them. So I decided I want to share my journey with you all in the hope that it might help someone as well.

So quick background story. I am sure you guys guessed I hated Necessary Assumption questions and I had a good reason to hate them. They took me forever to do and I usually got them wrong. If you take a look at my Analytics, NA questions are the big red dot on my graph whose color and huge size was neither changing nor decreasing in shape!!!

I first decided to re-do the core-curriculum on NA questions. I did that probably 3 times, I think more; with little benefit. I felt like I got what was being said but somehow I just wasn't able to apply. I now know I got the concept but not the method to achieve it. But back then I didn't know, moreover because I had done those questions so many times, I felt like I had the answers memorized, so each time I was learning less and less. Combined with the factor that I was getting them wrong so much on the practice tests, I just hated seeing NA questions on a PT. I would skip them, come back at the end, and still struggle with them. I was at a point where I just dreaded seeing the NA question stem.

Then, I decided to approach a few mentors. I used their office hours and each time I brought up how to do NA questions, took notes. I also messaged them with any further questions I had. I think asking different mentors the same thing is fine, sometimes depending on where you are, one of them might say something that helps more than the others. When I finally felt like I knew what steps I had to take, I realized I still hated doing the question.

So instead of doing a full drill, I decided each morning to do about 5 NA questions and that's it. This is because I wanted to associate NA questions with something positive. So I only did NA questions when I drank coffee and I put extra marshamllows in it to make the experience even better, and yes I like marshmallows in my coffee :DDD . I think this was important to associate something very positive for me -coffee and marshamallows- with Neccessary Assumption questions.

After two weeks of doing this I have come to realize I have come to enjoy Necessary Assumption questions. I understand them better because of all the help I got and I got rid of the negative feelings I had associated with the question types. Now every morning I can't wait to put a hot steaming cup of coffee with marshmallows on my desk pick up my NA packet and do 5 questions. This honestly brings a smile to my face.

I think the lesson I learned from my experience is to not overdo something you are bad at or hate. We tend to really focus on drilling out our mistakes and we end up overdoing it. Sometimes our mind just needs a bit of time and some help, like marshmallows, to undo all the negative feelings it has.

I think the key to LSAT and life is to enjoy whatever we end up doing. So give yourself time and a little bit of help to learn to enjoy something you don't normally associate with fun.

I hope this helps some of you in future. <3 <3

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    when I drank coffee and I put extra marshamllows in it to make the experience even better, and yes I like marshmallows in my coffee :DDD . I think this was important to associate something very positive for me -coffee and marshamallows- with Neccessary Assumption questions.
    Positive reinforcement! I love this!
    @Sami said:
    I think the lesson I learned from my experience is to not overdo something you are bad at or hate. We tend to really focus on drilling out our mistakes and we end up overdoing it. Sometimes our mind just needs a bit of time and some help, like marshmallows, to undo all the negative feelings it has.
    Literally could no agree more! My 2nd time through the core curriculum has literally changed everything for me. This time around I am not overdoing things, but focusing on important things: thing like marshmallows :)

I'm happy to hear you and NA questions are on better terms!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    The psychological battle is real. Thanks for sharing! I didn't add marshmallows, haha, but I did this same thing with logic games. The association with my morning coffee made me eager to work them and I soon began enjoying them!
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I SO needed to hear this before next week! <3
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    re!
    Aww yes, I am so glad to hear that. <3 <3 I know you will do great <3 <3 <3
    10774 karma
    @ScooterMinion said:
    I SO needed to hear this before next week
    Hey my left handed buddy,

So are you taking this December test then? If so good luck!!!!! I am sure you'll beat all the right handed people ;) ;)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Bookmarked! <3
    11542 karma
    This is the best post I've ever seen in my LIFE.
    11542 karma
    Wow. So much knowledge.
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I hope you know I am never forgiving you. lol :DDDD
    11542 karma
    Huh? Sorry I was distracted by this AMAZING POST.
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq lol did you even read the post? I bet you didn't and just commented so I could forgive you. :DDDD
    11542 karma
    Of course I did. Took extensive notes too!
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Of course I did. Took extensive notes too!
    The sarcasm is literally flowing out in this comment :DD
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    Hey my left handed buddy,

So are you taking this December test then? If so good luck!!!!! I am sure you'll beat all the right handed people ;) ;)
    Fellow lefty checking in! :)
    edited November 2016 10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Fellow lefty checking in! :)
    Did not know that! Aww yaaay <3

11542 karma
    Haha no in all seriousness I love this post. Very uplifting and a reinforcement that with hard work comes success :)
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Haha no in all seriousness I love this post.
    lol I am guessing you finally read it so you could say something more concrete ;)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    Did not know that! Aww yaaay <3
    Yup! I wonder if lefties score better on the LSAT ;)
    10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Yup! I wonder if lefties score better on the LSAT ;)
    They must!!!!! I mean pffft that's not even a question. We are smarter ;)
    10774 karma
    Also, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, and Isaac Newton were all lefties. So was Gandhi. So was Ronald Regan, Bush (H.W. not W. thank god or I would have to take that back), and Barack Obama are all left handed :DDDD
    27823 karma
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    It's definitely my opinion backed by Einstein as evidence ;)
    11542 karma
    Left Handed --> Better LSAT score. Um bye Felicia.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    It's definitely my opinion backed by Einstein as evidence ;)
    Haha. Oh wow, I had no idea about any of those people except Barry O!
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Left Handed --> Better LSAT score.
    lol It's true. In my World ;)
    10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I had no idea about any of those people except Barry
    Right? It's pretty cool. Especially because we make up only about 10% of the population. Also, its more rare for a female to be left handed than male.
  • LsatChicLsatChic Member
    191 karma
    @"Sami I really appreciate your words of encouragement and sharing your story,especially during the holiday season when studying for the LSAT can seem as if life is passing by. Family and friends are partying etc. Yet, having to stay focused/optimistic about the big picture. Thanks again :-)
    11542 karma
    10774 karma
    @LsatChic Thank you. and yes the struggle is soo real especially when everyone around us is partying right now.

We will celebrate when our score comes <3 <3 <3
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    OMG @montaha.rizeq I am rolling here with laughter. :DD
    11542 karma
    @Sami said:
    Especially because we make up only about 10% of the population.
    The ambidextrous peeps make up less than 10% of the population ;)
    11542 karma
    @Sami said:
    I am rolling here with laughter. :DD
    Hahahah! Gotta love Mr. Depp!
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    The ambidextrous peeps make up less than 10% of the population ;)
    Does it count that I eat and play sports with my right hand? To be fair, I had to learn how to do that so I could play waterpolo with my team. Doesn't work when everybody holds that ball on right side and you have your left hand up to defend!
    11542 karma
    @Sami said:
    Does it count that I eat and play sports with my right hand?
    http://i.imgur.com/ZCj40Dn.gif
    Definitely having some technical difficulty ;'(
    11542 karma
    Hahaha I clicked it. FINE, stay with your lefties!
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Hahaha I clicked it
    awwww <3 <3 <3
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    I would agree with you on not over-do. AP is my favorite type in LR. Although I still follow cc while drilling, I would say Principle question is my weakness.
    @dennisgerrard said:
    I would say Principle question is my weakness.
    Keep working and I am confident one day you will not have Principle questions as your weaknesses. You will do great. Good Luck <3
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Well done, @Sami :)
    10774 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    @bjphillips5 I hope you know I love all your gifs <3 :D
  • Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma
    Awww @Sami I love this so much!!
    edited November 2016 1018 karma
    @Sami, yes, I am taking my first LSAT this Saturday. >__< And, sad to say, I'm not ready. I found 7Sage late, but glad I found them at all as I was able to bring up my PT scores at least a few points with the material I've been able to cover in the short time LEFT. hehe, left.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that I will have to sit for it in June too. Apparently, my preferred method is to learn the hard way. :/ Hence, the slogan on the side of my scooter (motorcycle).

But seriously, this last week has started with a spectacular thud, so thank you for posting this positivity! <3
    27823 karma
    @ScooterMinion said:
    I am taking my first LSAT this Saturday. >__< And, sad to say, I'm not ready. I found 7Sage late
    If you'd found 7Sage at all, I'm pretty sure that by now someone would have told you not to take before you're ready;)
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I'm pretty sure that by now someone would have told you not to take before you're ready;)
    @ScooterMinion are you sure you want to take the test this week, especially if you are not ready?
    I just don't want my fellow leftie to waste a take that he might need to use to score when he gets to his ideal average. <3 <3 <3
  • lawgikallawgikal Core Member
    108 karma
    @Sami
    This is a great post! I'm glad I read it this morning. I'll be having marshmallows in my coffee when I do principle questions!
    1018 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" and @Sami, you're both right, to an extent. I stepped onto the super highway from the slow lane. Another learning experience. Even just one month has made a huge difference to my LG section scores. I may not be fully ready, but I am in a better position than I was in one month ago.

I've been studying for several months, under a couple of methods, and didn't discover soon enough that they were not the best studying method for me. It is what it is and my hindsight is 20/20. *shrugs* I can only do my best at any given time.

Also, my payment and accommodations were arranged long before I discovered I wasn't going to be fully ready. I don't see the benefit in essentially throwing away the registration fee when I can get a super real, timed "practice" test in, lol, especially when accommodations are involved. Plus, I may learn on Saturday that I need more accommodations in the future (I won't bore you with the details). WIN! WIN!

If we've learned anything about this bedamndable test, practice is seldom a waste. As Sami and JY suggest, I'm turning everything into a positive. And I certainly appreciate your insights and advice.

So, with 7Sage's help, she must make the best omelet out of many broken eggs. ;)
    27823 karma
    @ScooterMinion said:
    hindsight is 20/20.
    It certainly was for me after wasting takes before I was ready;)
    10774 karma
    @lawgikal said:
    'll be having marshmallows in my coffee when I do principle questions

I hope the marshmallows in your coffee were as amazing as they are in mine : )