Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekend and Hybrid Programs

d3wittd3witt Alum Member
Hi all, I'm a nontraditional (read: 42yo) student. I had talked myself out of law school 2x previously, but discovered ABA-accredited hybrid and weekend programs where I could get a "real" law degree while working/family/living. I have a strong career, so I'm basically going for personal fulfillment, with some hope of increased income and job opportunities. There are no part-time programs within 100 miles of me, so the idea of flying out on weekends for class is very appealing. The problem is, the only 2 current hybrids are Mitchell (#140) and Loyola (#72). Syracuse (#86) is coming online next year.
However...my stats are such that I'm thinking about shooting higher, biting the bullet, and going full-time. [LSAT 169, BA gpa 2.7, MS gpa 3.7] I have a tenured government position, which would mean guaranteed job through school and after, along with the public service loan forgiveness IF I stay and do the hybrid. So, full-time law school would mean resigning and hoping to get a job upon graduation. Not to mention pulling 3 years salary from savings and student loans.

Is anyone else in 7sage-land looking at hybrids? Or is anyone else riding the full-time/part-time fence?

Comments

• ScaryGaryScaryGary Alum Member
    17 karma
    I'm in a similar position. I am 51 and could retire from my government position (Law Enforcement) at 52. I am in a command position at my job and can't go to the evening program that is close (60 miles away) because I can't commit to 5 nights a week. I have meetings at night frequently.

I'm torn between pulling the plug on my current position or going to weekend law school at Loyola Chicago if I can get in, or Cooley at Western Michigan as a backup. My pension would only be worth 50% of my current salary so I'm in a conundrum. My BA gpa is 3.2 and my Lsat is coming in February. I've been studying for the Lsat for a while now and I'm no genius. I'd be pleased with a score in the 150's so I don't even know if Loyola will take me. I can work for the Prosecutor in this area when I finish my JD but there will be some lean years.

If I had your Lsat score, I would see which top tier schools would offer admission and then use that info as further input towards the decision as to whether to leave your current position. Congrats on the 169. That's impressive.
  • d3wittd3witt Alum Member
    25 karma
    Looks like we're in very similar boats. I've been dealing with lawyers 40 hours a week most of my career so I got an 'in' on how they think, which in turn helped on the test. Loyola Chicago is my first choice, too. Maybe we'll meet next fall. I didn't know about Cooley as a weekender, thanks. Mitchell Hamline, btw, has very generous scholarships. Even though they're a T3-T4 school, a free JD is tempting.