Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.8, 164. Is T-14 out of reach?

jaylenosgaragejaylenosgarage Alum Member
in General 70 karma
I'm a non-URM and have average softs with 2-3 years of work experience.
If I don't mind paying a sticker, which T-14 schools should I apply? Do I even have a shot (especially at Michigan, UVA, Northwestern) with such low LSAT?

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited January 2017 821 karma
    It's worthwhile to apply, especially if you have fee waivers. Definitely work hard on your PS, write the supplemental essays (if there are any), and submit ASAP. I know some T14 deadlines are coming up in a few weeks. Applying this late in the cycle for a Michigan/UVA might put you at a disadvantage, but if you are willing to pay sticker, who knows. If you get waitlisted, you might even get off of it soon - a lot of HYS/CCN people apply to Michigan and UVA but use it as a backup or for scholarship negotiation at CCN (although lately michigan and uva have been rejecting folks with really high LSAT scores for yield protection purposes).

I know that the Michigan admissions process is really holistic and that they're really interested in diversity - not just ethnic diversity, but economic diversity, experiential diversity, etc. I'm less familiar with Northwestern and UVA, but I know that UVA has a really high median GPA so that could make things more difficult. Also, I'm pretty sure that the median northwestern lsat is like 168 or something, but the middle 50% is within like 163-170, and you are definitely in there.

I think you should try for Cornell and Duke as well. Also, non-T14 but close, Texas and UCLA. You seem to be in the range for those schools, and they are also awesome!
  • stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    you might like this tool on law school numbers, if you haven't seen it yet - http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1617

I used yale as an example, but you can see the stats of some of the accepted/denied/waitlisted students. Obviously, it's a self-selecting sample, but it could be useful!

okay, in retrospect, using yale wasn't a great example because they haven't sent out a lot of acceptances yet so there isn't much data. Here's NYU, which has more data
    http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1617
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jaylenosgarage said:
    I'm a non-URM and have average softs with 2-3 years of work experience.
    If I don't mind paying a sticker, which T-14 schools should I apply? Do I even have a shot (especially at Michigan, UVA, Northwestern) with such low LSAT?
    Nope. I believe you will have a shot at Georgetown, Cornell, and possibly another lower T14.
  • alex.e92alex.e92 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 239 karma
    Yes, maybe? I know a few people with your numbers or similar numbers paying sticker at UVA. *But* I don't know when they applied in their respective cycles. So if money isn't an object, apply anyway! That being said, if you delay a cycle and retake in feb or June I'm sure you could increase your score a few points and not have to pay sticker at a t-14.
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    anything i possible. my friend got accepted to UVA with a 159LSAT and a 4.0GPA. you wont find out till you apply, the worst they can say is "no" :)