Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warming up before a PT? IF so how much?

zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
in General 164 karma
I read in the past in some 180er's blog that he used to do a LG section before each PT to warm up. So I started doing that. 1 section of LG, usually an old one, about an hour before starting my PT (to simulate waiting in the test center to start).

Now I read on a discussion here (not naming names, but @Sami says that she warms up with 3 sections before each PT (1 LR, 1 LG, 1 RC). I was really surprised, hence this post. I would honestly try warming up with 3 sections before each PT, but I find I get a headache during the 3/4th section and I am pretty beat by the end of the 5th. I don't know if I could handle more than that. You think it is just a stamina thing that I need to work on? How much do you all warm up? And what are you with/without warming up PT scores? Noticeable difference? Especially @Sami , I'd like to hear how you go about doing a PT run. Any comments appreciated!

Comments

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma
    I usually take 2 sections before I jump into a PT. I have definitely noticed a significant difference in my ability to focus on the questions in the following scored sections.

Before I started taking a couple sections before taking a PT, there were numerous occasions where I would be stuck on the first 5 questions for way too long because my brain was still adjusting (I usually take them in the morning, so my entire body is still asleep usually). For me, 2 sections is optimal- usually LG and LR. However, I suspect that it depends on the person.

Another benefit to taking 2+ sections before hand is to work up your endurance. If your sitting for 7-8 sections, the real administration will seem like a breeze. It's certainly not surprising that you get burnt out now when taking 3 sections before a PT, but if you do this a few times, your endurance will become stronger. Maybe start with 1 extra section, and then 2 and then 3? Or whatever you think will best accommodate your ability to build endurance and "warm up."

Also want to put out there, that any sections I put before a PT are almost always repeats. If I am using them to build endurance or warm up, I go for repeats in order to preserve new PTs. (However, for the experimental section, I use a new one- usually from a old PT).

Hope this helps some.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    I do the equivalent of about 1 section. 1 RC passage, 2 games, and then the first 10 - 15 questions in an LR section. That leaves me warmed up without tapping into any significant amount of mental energy. It took me awhile to find the sweet spot, and it'll be a little different for everyone. Find what works for you and do that.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10774 karma
    Hi @zkchrumz : )

So before I go into what I do I think a more important question to ask is what do you actually need before you start a practice test. This varies for each person and it alone should dictate what your warmup should be like. What I need is completely different from what you need and if you get headaches while you are on the 5th section, then definitely don't do what I do.

That being said, if you are feeling beat by the 5th section that's also not good. In my opinion, you want to be in a shape where you can do 5 LSAT sections without feeling like it required a lot of effort. So here a couple of things that I think worked for me to improve my endurance in LSAT.

1. Back to Back PT: Even when I initially started I used to do back to back PT's. And now my warm up is basically almost another PT. This idea came to me because I was involved with sports a lot. When you are training for that 100 meter swim race, you want to throw at least weekly a 500 meter training session. This makes the 100 meter race seem relatively easy because the distance is no longer a factor and your body is equipped to handle the 100 m. stress because it knows how to handle a 500 m. race. I wouldn't say do this every time but I would say try. There is no harm in seeing if this helps you handle a 5 section better.

2. Working out every day and sleeping early: So despite the warm up I noticed from one of my conversations on the discussion board with @"Cant Get Right" that I wasn't as intensely focused as he was when taking the LSAT. This lead to the realization that the missing ingredient for me was having a set sleep routine and daily exercise. This had definitely boosted not only my endurance during a PT as I feel more focused now but also the quality of my study time.

I think the question you are also asking me is why is my warm up a 3 section warm up instead of maybe what some other people have. For me the answer is more personal and it has to do with me realizing that I am someone who loses her sense of timing strategy. For example I cannot just do 1 RC passage as warmup in isolation. This is because I'll end up doing that passage in lets say 8 min; because 8 min is still a decent time it might not occur to me that this passage should have only taken me 6 minutes. But it does occur to me when I do it in a 35 min 4 passage warm up because a difficult passage/question requires more time and when I am done with that section I can pin point places where maybe I should have been faster/skipped a hard question sooner. But because I did that passage in seclusion from the whole section during a warm up, I will end up not pushing myself to be faster when I actually do my timed test. Because my warm up was about individual passage my real PT mentality loses its focus on the big picture- which is that I need to be a bit on the reckless side and move fast and complete 3 other passages. This is because I have just warmed/practiced with with only 1 passage in mind and although I know that I have 3 other passages my warmup mentality does kick in during the PT where I lose the "feeling" of the mentality I need to have to complete the 3 other passages at their respective speed's. It seems trivial but its something that I have noticed I need.

The same goes for LR and LG. If I do a couple of questions in isolation, sure my brain is warmed up to tackle LSAT concepts but for me its not ready to take the test. This is because LSAT is a test that not only tests my knowledge about concepts but also how fast I can complete these questions. So while a little warmup warms my brain muscles to get ready to think again in terms of LSAT concepts it doesn't get me warmed up for the "timing mentality" that I also need to have.

You also asked me a question about how my warmup ends up being like. So my warmups always has more silly errors and actually kind of sucks in terms of time. I don't move fast enough during initial questions/passages/game and I am always running behind. But when I am done I am not harsh on myself. I just remind myself, "look remember to move fast and don't get stuck on silly things and have regrets". So when I do start my real PT, I am aware of all this and I mostly don't make the same mistake.

My strategy comes from knowing what I tend to lose focus on during a timed PT and yours should come from a similar strategy of finding what it is that you actually need your brain to remember during a timed PT. Is it just getting your brain fired to take on LSAT concepts or is it also the timing aspect of the test? For me sadly, it happens to be both. I need to warm up to get my brain ready to not only start thinking in terms of LSAT but also time!

So this is really up to you. I would say try different things. See what works and what doesn't. One thing I have learned is that there is no right way in LSAT; there is only what you need.

I hope this helped. Let me know if there is anything else you want to talk about <3 <3
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Enough to where your brain is fired up and ready to go. But, not so much that you begin to contemplate torching the PT before taking it.
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I do the equivalent of about 1 section. 1 RC passage, 2 games, and then the first 10 - 15 questions in an LR section.
    That's basically what I did (at times). Although, there were times where I did 1 game, and only 8 LR questions (4 easy, 2 medium, 2 difficult).
  • zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
    164 karma
    Everyone, thanks for the replies.
    @bswise2
    I find I sometimes have that problem in the first 5 on LR. One of the questions (usually the abstract types, MOR, role in argument, etc), which I get tripped up on though I know it's easy. Do you normally include an LR section for warmup? If so, how do you feel about redoing LR? For me, I find that I breeze through 90% of the questions, which always seem fresh in my mind (even after a year), and I only really have a moderate challenge for the tough 10%, making me feel like I'm cheating. Well, the point isn't to be challenged by new problems but to just get in the groove, so I guess a bit of cheating should be ok?

@"Cant Get Right" How long did it take you to find your sweet spot? Also, do you self-identify as the LSAT solving mode warmup'er, as opposed to the LSAT timing mode kind of person? (Borrowing @Sami 's theory) In other words, you are usually fine on timing, its just the solving mindset needs a bit of easing in?

@Sami
    Very, very interesting! I am working on a sleep schedule and daily work-out (easier said than done...) When you say back to back PT, do you mean 4 35 minute sections in a row, then 15 minute break then 4 more in a row? Or something like 3 sections first, then a break, then 5-section test after?
    I think I tend to be the LSAT solving mode kind of warmup'er. I generally don't have problems with timing (at least that which warming-up solves). 99% of the time I am pushing myself to go as fast as possible when I am in a section. Now that I think about it, it wasn't always like that. It took a while for me to be able to flip that switch. That's more of an 'empty your mind' and focus type of deal, though.
    Last 2 questions, I promise (for this post :)): Do you reuse old sections to warm-up? Do you BR warm-up sections, and if so, to what degree in relation to the actual PT?

@MrSamIam
    At this particular moment the thought of 3 sections of warm-up is converging with thoughts of baked Alaska and creme brulee... you might be on to something. Did you do a lot of experimenting before finding the sweet spot for warm-ups? And your experiences with said experiments? (some torching involved, perhaps?)
  • Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    edited December 2016 877 karma
    @zkchrumz said:
    Do you normally include an LR section for warmup? If so, how do you feel about redoing LR? For me, I find that I breeze through 90% of the questions, which always seem fresh in my mind (even after a year), and I only really have a moderate challenge for the tough 10%, making me feel like I'm cheating. Well, the point isn't to be challenged by new problems but to just get in the groove, so I guess a bit of cheating should be ok?

I normally do include LR because, for me personally, LR is where I have to really pay attention the most. This requires the highest level of mental engagement for me and there is more potential for me to miss something. For me, repeats are perfect because they have less of an ability to drain you mentally. They are using brain muscles that have already been engaged in those questions. (It also has the ability to point out questions that you got wrong twice, or got wrong the second time, but maybe not the first time. Awesome review opportunity). But like you said, the main purpose of this is to get your brain going and to build endurance. The actual PT is where you will be "challenged by new problems." I definitely recommend experimenting with it and seeing what works best for you. Maybe you should not do a LR section before hand and do RC or LG (or both). I'm sure everyone "wakes their brain up" differently. Good luck to ya :)
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    I do one LR before I PT. Anything more burns me out half way through the PT.
    27823 karma
    For me, by test day, there was just no questioning my ability to solve. But pacing and rhythm is something that has to be found in real time. Although I developed my pacing strategies and abilities to a high level, hitting that groove doesnt necessarily happen right off the mark. So that was the purpose of my warmup.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10774 karma
    @zkchrumz said:
    When you say back to back PT, do you mean 4 35 minute sections in a row, then 15 minute break then 4 more in a row?
    This! I used to do 4 sections, 15 minutes break, then another 4 sections.
    Now I just relax and do 3 sections for warmup (timed) then maybe take an hour off; pretend that this time I will be driving to test center and get seated and then take the full PT.

Also, for some reason I don't get tired by the end of my real timed test. I may not want to do anything for the rest of the day, but during the test I don't feel exhausted.

@zkchrumz said:
    Do you reuse old sections to warm-up?
    Yes, always. I use PT 1-35 for warmups and I cycle through them.

@zkchrumz said:
    o you BR warm-up sections, and if so, to what degree in relation to the actual PT?

I actually never even check my answers or BR my warm up sections till like the next day or a couple of days later. Because the point of my warm up is not to learn its to get my brain in the grove of things.

Also, I had forgotten to add, I am always a bit nervous before a real PT. Doing 3 sections helps me burn off that nervousness and gives me confidence that I can handle each LSAT section.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @zkchrumz Truth be told, I didn't. I asked around, figured out what worked for most people, averaged it, and gave it a shot. My first time pre-PT drilling didn't go so well - I felt tired by the start of section 1. Second time, I didn't do enough - my brain wasn't "fired up." Third try was just right. I wasn't too tired, nor did I feel unready by the start of section 1.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I'm so glad this thread got started!!

I tried @"Cant Get Right"'S method today. 1RC (Max Planck and blackbodies), 2 pages of LR questions (same PT), and three LG from Cambridge 1-40 that I knew I had down but were still somewhat challenging in 2 were weird. I only checked the answers for LG.

This not only got my brain ready to go but got my creative/cognitive juices flowing. It was perfect not too much that it was taxing but enough that I was ready to go!!

I should probably say I had done a few LG before I had my hearty breakfast.

So thank you @zkchrumz for this thread and to @"Cant Get Right" for sharing what worked for you!!
    edited December 2016 164 karma
    @bswise2
    I think redoing old LR (1-30) for warmup will be perfect for me. Plus, that way, BR is a snap (or should be). Thanks!

@TheLoftGuy
    I might end up in the same boat. I tried warming up yesterday with 2 sections (LR+LG) and I felt overworked. So we'll see if it gets easier or not.

@"Cant Get Right"
    As an aside, how long did it take you to hone your skills to a high level? As in # of PTs or months, whichever is more indicative.

@Sami
    I love the "Now I just relax and do 3 sections for warmup". And just to make sure, the sections you warmup with are sections you've done previously?

@MrSamIam
    Well, trial and error is a beautiful thing. If at first you don't succeed . . .
    Thanks for sharing.

@sweetsecret
    Glad to be of service. If I've got a question, chances are someone else is thinking the same thing too, so we can kill two birds with one stone, right?
    27823 karma
    A long time, haha. I could have done it faster if I had started out with good study practices, but I suppose that's a part of the process for a lot of people. About a year and three months from start to finish for me. I'd say the first three months were basically wasted, and I was ready about three months before going in. That last three months was still important though because I was able to build up a lot of confidence and consistency which turned out to be pretty clutch. On test day, I knew I'd underperformed on a section and it would have been all too easy to let my confidence waiver. I have no doubt that if I had allowed that to happen I would have fallen out of the 170s. Without that final three months, it's very difficult for me to imagine pulling it off.

I probably ended up taking somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 PTs.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Also, just to add. Other than doing sections to practice before a PT, I also like to do a simple workout. Like 25 push ups or something and a quick run. It really helps get my mind in the zone...
    164 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    Funny you should say 1 year 3 months. I'm right around the corner from that. Feb will be 1 year 4 months, though I only studied for about 6-7 of them... and the first 3 were wasted on a Kaplan course...

@"Alex Divine"
    I'm experimenting with exercise as a warm up too. Just need to make sure I don't tire myself out too much, but still be warmed up. Still working on it.

Thanks all for the advice!
  • John1990John1990 Member
    30 karma
    I'm curious how you folks score your warm-up sections or questions? Before the real PT, or after? Do you do a real BR in between these warm-up sections and the PT??? I could see how deeply engaging with the material would get your mind fired up, but I would also fear that a careless error would demoralize you right before you head into the actual test.
    27823 karma
    Right on @zkchrumz , all the best!

@John1990 , definitely do not want to check between warm up and the test! If you want to, add it into your BR routine.
    164 karma
    @John1990
    I definitely NEVER review my warm-ups pre PT. And they are mostly redoes of old sections anyway, which should be 0's anyway (hopefully). That way, my confidence doesn't suffer (Cause I usually blow through the section in 28 minutes, making me feel very smart :) ).