Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Fresh Start

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
in General 1723 karma
Howdy,

So I am not new to 7Sage, but I haven't been active in the community. Short story version: I've been using 7Sage for about a year but pushed the test back twice in 2016 due to school and working getting in the way. I thought I could force by pushing quickly through the core material and skipping parts of it (yes, shame me) it but it didn't happen with my practice test results dropping each time (145, 141, 138). So I withdrew from the September date to preserve my attempts. I just graduated from Texas A&M and now am planning to take the June LSAT. I haven't touched anything since August and am planning to start the core curriculum over.

I am ready to do this. I understand where I went wrong and want to use a new approach now that all I have to worry about is a part-time job. I guess my main question right now is how much time per day do you spend studying while avoiding burnout?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Hello,

I think it's kind of funny that your greeting is 'Howdy' and that you graduated from Texas :D

All jokes aside though, I try not to limit myself on how many hours to study during a given day. For me personally, when I was going through the core curriculum I spent about 2-3 hours a day after work M-F and around 6-8 hours on the weekends. Going through the curriculum isn't as cognitively taxing as doing a full time prep test or intensive drilling.

On days when I write a full prep test; I'll write the test, take a quick 20-30 minute break, then start my blind review. Which can usually take me anywhere from 30 minutes - 3 hours depending on how many I've circled and the level of difficulty. The day after is usually spent attacking the weaknesses I exposed from the previous practice test.

In all honesty, how much time you are willing to spend daily is going to differ from one person to another. One may get burned out from doing a reading comp section, while another may not get burned out from doing back to back PTs. Everyone is different, you just need to find your sweet spot and try to stick to it but adjust accordingly.

Best of luck!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma
    Thanks! Its nice to hear from someone who is working too. I will be probably near full-time hours wise, but I feel its still possible to study effectively. I took a couple of practice tests and the blind reviews were brutal sometimes because of the energy and focus spent on the first take, but it is definitely helpful to breakdown the question and see where I may have went wrong.

P.S.- Aggies always say howdy haha. It is our official greeting.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @aaronkeegan92 said:
    I am ready to do this. I understand where I went wrong and want to use a new approach
    Starting back at the basics is incredibly smart and sorry you fell into our club of rushing the curriculum and having to restart. You've made the best decision ever:)

For many people & recommended by most Sages I know, set a designated time to study but if you feel like you are just not "into" it then step away for the rest of the day and start again the next day. Forced study is a major component of burn-out but also counter-productive with the time invested. The purpose of going through the curriculum is to learn the skills that the LSAT requires and it takes time for the concepts to gel and become intuitive. Stepping away for specific study breaks on your calendar is also highly recommended. "all work and no play" is no fun... especially for your brain:)

Even though you are re-starting the curriculum, I highly recommend attending Josh's @"Cant Get Right" webinar tonight to have an understanding of where you want to be and what to do when you are ready for the PT phase.
    Hope this helps:)
    1723 karma
    I couldn't agree more with all of that. I'm trying to land a restaurant serving job and those vary in times but I feel like it just comes down to discipline. I definitely know the feeling of "not feeling it" on certain days. I appreciate the help!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I studied 15-20 hours a week while working full time and didn't burn out at all. That may have been because I LOVED learning about the LSAT and improving my skills as I went through the core curriculum. You may be different in where your point of diminishing returns lies.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Everything these fine people said ^^^. @"Cant Get Right" 's webinar last evening was absolutely brilliant! I hope it will be available soon.

It sucks having to restart, I know how you feel after wasting 3 months on a different program right before December's sit. But I finally made peace with admitting that I wasn't ready and made plans to get ready (with the help of all of the fine folks in this community).

You are smart for knowing, and being honest with, yourself. There is no shame in the truth. When you're not into it, step away for the rest of the day and attack it with renewed fervor the next day.

I study 2-3 hours per day, depending on which lesson I'm on, or when I finish a section. I also sometimes review a bit from the previous day because I'm concerned I might forget some great details (my notes are voluminous---OK, I admit it's almost like journaling).

I enjoy the mental sparring gauntlet thrown by the LSAT. I've had to readjust my test date to June 2018, and I'm looking forward to this breathing room. (2 weeks ago, I would have called myself crazy for saying that.)

Hi, my name is Bev, and I'm an LSAT nerd.

Best of wishes in your studies! I will be excited to ready your success story!! <3
    1723 karma
    Thanks @desire2learn and @ScooterMinion, I appreciate the encouragement. Even in just this week, I definitely have felt less pressure to blow through the material and have actually keyed in on a couple of new things I missed last time so I have already have made some gains. I feel a lot more comfortable with my decision so far!
  • WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma
    @aaronkeegan92 said:
    Howdy
    Howdy! Thanks and gig 'em! Love knowing exactly when I see that word that another Aggie is around :)
    1723 karma
    Ahhhhh!!!! Knew there had to be at least one other Aggie on here! Whooooop!
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @aaronkeegan92 I have been in a similar situation where I had another time commitment of more than 160 hours a week and managed to study for LSAT. I agree with the advice that you should not push yourself to study for LSAT on the days that you really do not feel it and do not want to even look at LSAT related material. My suggestion is on the days that you feel like studying LSAT commit yourself to a minimum amount of study in a day like a concept, solving certain number of LG games, be honest with yourself and set a realistic goal while remembering this is minimum and you always study more. The main goal is to keep your momentum without burning out while you are in core curriculum.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @"Not Ralph Nader" said:
    My suggestion is on the days that you feel like studying LSAT commit yourself to a minimum amount of study in a day
    Yeah, I really love this. By setting a minimum, you can approach the day a lot easier without getting overwhelmed. Once you've done the minimum you have the option to do more or to quit if you're feeling burnt out at all. You'll probably find that once you've gotten the ball rolling, it's not too difficult to carry on and do more.

Keep at it. You've definitely made the right call to recognize you need to stop, go back, and do it right. Take it slow and master the material. Test when you're ready.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Also, @"Not Ralph Nader" , I really hope you did not have a commitment of more than 160 hours a week;) Unless you had a baby. I suppose that might push 168.
    1723 karma
    Thanks @"Not Ralph Nader" and @"Cant Get Right", I felt the extra drive so far just by getting started up again. I know there will be those times that I won't want to study so I'm glad y'all are confirming my initial thoughts. I think having gone through about 75% of the curriculum does help too and I knowing what is ahead of me.

By the way everyone, I changed my screen name to akeegs92. I don't know why it didn't update on this thread; so if you see that name popping up, its me haha. I hope to contribute more on the boards and help others as I get better. I really appreciate the support!
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Also, @"Not Ralph Nader" , I really hope you did not have a commitment of more than 160 hours a week;) Unless you had a baby. I suppose that might push 168.

lol that was funny, I had like 80 hours of classes and 80 hours of studying for those classes which now sounds crazy to me. I do not know how I managed that.
  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma
    WHOOP!!! Fighting Texas Aggie c/o 2013 here! Good to see other Ags here. I'm still in College Station so if y'all ever want to meet, let me know!

I'm currently preparing for the June exam... Thanks and gig'em! @aaronkeegan92 @Walliums
    edited January 2017 373 karma
    @cgracia12 Whoop! I'm class of 2014 (graduated Dec. 2013) I am taking June as well. Living and working in Houston currently. I don't always get to go to College Station but would be great to meet up sometime!
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    @aaronkeegan92 said:

I am ready to do this. I understand where I went wrong and want to use a new approach now that all I have to worry about is a part-time job. I guess my main question right now is how much time per day do you spend studying while avoiding burnout?
    I'm so happy to hear this! I am approaching this in much of the same position. Definitely experienced a lot of burn out/bad studying habits/procrastination/life issues getting int he way of me studying properly and I'm approaching this with a fresh start and hoping to hit my goals in June.

I definitely think that if you're starting brand new with the fundamentals that you should try to commit 20 hours a week to it. I know that for me, that was one of the hardest parts. I tutor the LSAT now and I always tell my students that they shouldn't care how 'fast' theyre working through the sections so long as they are making sure that they dont miss out on the super fundamental information in the passage. They dont want to skimp on learning the material now only to realize that they have to go back a few months from now to learn it. I typically push for 20 hours a week to start because of this. Let the concepts sink in, review the same materials several times over because you pick up on more details and nuances when you do, and then move onto the next part of your studying. I think when you're more advanced there's usually (and dont quote me on this) less burn out, which helps with adding more hours to your studying. But that's just me. It could be different with everyone.

Maybe just focus on learning very well the few sections you're aiming to get through within a week, and then moving onto the next section the next week?
    1723 karma
    Great to see more Aggies on here haha @cgracia12 whooop! @lawschoolstuff16 I am trying to get at least 4 hours a day in so I'm definitely in the ball park. Thanks!
  • shahla.s-1shahla.s-1 Alum Member
    104 karma

@Walliums Hey, Im in Houston. Would you like to meet up?

373 karma

@"shahla.s-1" said:
    @Walliums Hey, Im in Houston. Would you like to meet up?

Definitely! Send me a note

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

Howdy! I was searching test center reviews for the Texas A&M testing center but came across this post! I am class of 2015 (graduated in 2016) and plan on taking in September. I hope the June test went well! Or if you are taking in September good luck!

1723 karma

Whooooop!!! Class of '16! I have not taken it yet. I was hoping for September but that may be in question for me since I am not where I was hoping to be but I appreciate the wishes! Always glad to see more Aggies on here haha!

When were you planning to take?