Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does a masters from the UK factor into LSAC GPA? - 7Sage Forum

Does a masters from the UK factor into LSAC GPA?

nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
in General 107 karma
I have a UK masters graded on a scale very different from the US GPA system. How will it be evaluated by LSAC?

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    According to LSAC:
    "Law schools receive a copy of graduate school transcripts with the law school report, but do not calculate an overall grade-point average combining undergraduate and graduate school performance. The graduate school experience is one of the many factors that schools consider when reviewing applications that contribute to the breadth and depth of a candidate’s overall qualifications for the study of law."

• nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
    107 karma
    Thanks for your help @montaha.rizeq !
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Of course!
  • todduncan2todduncan2 Member
    60 karma
    Hi nyc2...

I'm in the same boat but with a Ph.D (and an undergraduate degree) from the UK. I've spoken to several admissions counselors about how such a degree is incorporated into the evaluation of a candidate by an admissions committee. The responses I've heard range from "we don't really care about an advanced degree, what is your LSAT score?" to "we look on it very favorably as you've demonstrated success in a previous graduate program". If you've taken courses for the Masters (e.g. it wasn't by research), and some kind of grade is on the final transcript, then WES, the group that do the equivalency evaluation for LSAC (or who did several years ago), will report some kind of equivalency but it is only a recommendation to the school. There is no "grade" for a Ph.D - just pass/fail, however, so it's just "reported" as montaha.rizeq notes.

For example, for my undergraduate degree from the UK, WES converted the degree class to a 3.4 UGPA (even though there weren't specific class grades on the transcript). It was a science degree so hopefully adcoms realize that in the UK there are no core classes/electives etc and you basically get 3-4 years of only science classes. I guess we'll see in a month or so.
  • nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
    107 karma

@todduncan2 keep me posted on what LSAC says. I did undergrad in the US and my masters is a taught degree from the UK with grades that are not easily equated to US GPAs...

• todduncan2todduncan2 Member
    60 karma

@nyc2dc2ca Will do. I'm older so this is cycle is my first and last bite at the cherry as it were. If and when offers arrive, I'll try and get a feel for how adcoms interpreted the information they have re: UK grades and degrees and post an update. I have an addendum about grade equivalencies that I use when I can on apps if possible. Having been a University professor for 10+ years in the US I have some insights into the differences between educational systems, but trod very lightly regarding that in the addendum; I just noted there are structural differences that can impact how grades are assigned in the two systems. I was very careful to not make judgements or evaluations of the merits of one system over the other. I gave some information about the differences, and will let adcoms interpret that information as they best see fit. Perhaps an addendum is worth considering.