Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update from the LSAC on the issues that affected the August 2023 LSAT

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited August 2023 in August 2023 LSAT 5740 karma

Hi everyone,

The LSAC provided an update regarding the issues that occurred during the August 2023 administration of the LSAT, specifically concerning remote testing. The LSAC apologizes for the problems, citing a mix of staffing, infrastructure, and technology issues at Prometric, the selected proctoring vendor. While in-person testing went smoothly, remote testing encountered numerous delays on the first day, affecting many test takers.

To remedy the situation, the LSAC is offering affected students the opportunity to complete their August test, move to a future administration, or receive a full refund. Additional testing days have been scheduled for August 19 and 20, with the option for affected test takers to test in-person or remotely. They are also instructing affected individuals to file formal complaints through their LSAC.org accounts by August 14.

The LSAC are committed to resolving the issues with Prometric and have expressed deep regret for the inconvenience caused. They stress that it's their responsibility to ensure a smooth testing experience and will continue to work to eliminate these issues.

Comments

• sambres9sambres9 Alum Member
    16 karma

Hello, I'm having trouble finding where to file the complaint on LSAC website. If anyone has done so could you please let me know where to go. Thanks

• wizardofauzwizardofauz Core Member
    9 karma

Anyone know if the 22nd will still be an option?

• wizardofauzwizardofauz Core Member
    9 karma

@sambres9 said:
    Hello, I'm having trouble finding where to file the complaint on LSAC website. If anyone has done so could you please let me know where to go. Thanks

It's on your LSAC account under "View LSAT Registrations & Statuses," should be a link to file test complaint. I heard, however, that some already had their account on hold and couldn't file one.

• LegallyLilyLegallyLily Alum Member
    22 karma

I was probably one of the few people who took the exam online the official Friday it was administered without any noticeable hiccups. Only a few minor tech difficulties, but not a enough to derail me on the exam. Found it very similar to what I practiced - it seemed as though almost everything I was doing was muscle memory. I left with a really happy feeling afterwards but I probably will still be anxious until my score is released. But we need to have faith in ourself and our abilities! I know we’ll all be okay- positive energy only.

• Mary - Student ServiceMary - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited August 2023 601 karma

Hi @everyone!

LSAC provided an update regarding this weekend's retests for those who faced difficulties during the previous weekend due to remote proctoring issues. Here is the summary of what they said:

The retests for those who encountered problems last week due to remote proctoring issues were successful, with an overall high completion rate for both in-center and remote candidates. Out of the 3,000 retest takers, 30% did it in person at a Prometric test center, and 70% took the test online. However, there were a few problems, including inadequate staff at a Manhattan testing center, which caused some candidates to be turned away, and a city-wide internet outage in Nashville. Those affected have been offered alternate testing dates. LSAC and Prometric are committed to improving on these issues and ensuring smooth testing in the future.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know!

• corawilliams1101corawilliams1101 Alum Member
    17 karma

Does anyone know if the scores for the retests will be released on the original day (Aug. 30)?

• legally_blondishlegally_blondish Alum Member
    18 karma

Should I not do online in September?

• Mary - Student ServiceMary - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services

Hi @corawilliams1101! There haven't been any changes to the score release date for the retest this August. As planned, LSAC released scores to all August test takers today who have already completed their LSAT Writing sample.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Hey @everyone!

Just wanted to give everyone a final update from LSAC on the August LSAT administration.

The August LSAT faced issues due to remote proctoring problems. The August retest dates, however, were largely successful, achieving almost 100% completion for in-person and 98% for remote test takers.

As scheduled, LSAC released scores earlier today for all test-takers who completed their LSAT Writing sample.

A total of 16,630 individuals took the test, of which 10,075 were first-timers. Due to initial issues, many candidates shifted their registration to the September LSAT, leading to a decrease in August numbers. Therefore, September test registrations are higher than last year by about 3,500, and another testing day has been added next month to accommodate them.

LSAC is closely working with Prometric to prevent any future problems. Their aim is to ensure that the September LSAT and all future test administrations go smoothly and successfully for all test takers.