PT34.S3.Q03 - sigatoka disease drastically reduces

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
edited February 2017 in Logical Reasoning 274 karma

Hi Guys,

I am having a bit of difficulty with this question.

https://7sage.com/lesson/banana-epidemics-na-question/
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-34-section-3-question-03/

It's the banana question.

I have a hard time distinguish B. I mean, it is a sufficient assumption, yet it is the correct answer for the necessary assumption too.

I am feeling a bit, how do you call it, mumble jumble right now.

Can any one help to explain?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2017 8694 karma

At bottom, this argument has several layers built upon a core assumption: that because most large banana farms are located in a specific type of area (evidently immune to a specific concern), therefore most banana crops in the world are immune to that specific concern. For us to make this conclusion work in conjunction with premises, we would have to assume that the large banana farms constitute most of the total. This assumption, in true necessary assumption form must be true.

Think about the assumption like this:
    Most people in the US under 35 like The Walking Dead
    therefore most of the total population of the United States likes The Walking Dead.

Here we have assumed that the population under 35 constitutes a large enough portion of the total US population to make a most portion of it most of the total.

We move from a statistic about a part to a statistic about the whole in which that part resides.

Lets look into why our banana example is erroneous: how do we know that small banana farms don't constitute 95% of the total banana farm population? Rendering even 100% of the location within proximity of humans of the large banana farms inconsequential. Remember, we are not called upon here to make these assumptions on this exam, we are called upon to recognize and articulate what is wrong with specific logical relationships and then conduct task specific operations: i.e. finding necessary assumptions, accurately articulating flaws etc .

I hope this helps.
    David

• helentang02helentang02 Alum Member
    246 karma

Here was my approach:

Premise: Fungicides unsuitable for small banana groves
    Premise: most large plantations are in locations isolated from fungicides
    Conclusion: Most of world's banana crop is not seriously threaten by Sigatoka disease.

What's the gap: World not threatened by Sigatoka disease to banana plantation

Anticipation: Answer should explain why even with all the information banana crop is seriously threatened by disease. So, my thoughts are then it must mean that since small banana groves are a no go because they are susceptible, there must be more large plantation band crops, thus no worries for Sigatoka disease.

A. Irrelevant. The word "eventually" is a red flag. If were true still would not explain why currently the world's banana crop is not seriously threatened.

B. Looks good. Also, if you negate to large plantations do not produce most of or all of the world's banana. Then this could mean that maybe there's a lot of small banana groves in locations nearby populations. So it would WRECK the argument of not being seriously threatened by Sigatoka disease.

C.Irrelevant. if the disease spreads more slowly then the world is threatened by the disease.

D. First, we don't care if it's the only disease that threatens bananas on a worldwide scale. We only care about why it's okay to say banana crops are not seriously threatened.

E. Irrelevant. It's okay for them to be exposed, but the large plantations have the ability to kill the disease. Also, that's the opposite of the premise discusses it could be that they will soon be exposed to the disease since the disease are attracted to wherever bananas are.

• Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
    274 karma

@BinghamtonDave

Your explanation is always helpful. But I am just confused about one thing. Not so much as how the problem is solved, but why is the answer an NA. I presume instead that it is a SA.