RefresherRefresher Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 90 karma

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2017 4141 karma

Ooo lol I responded on your other post. This info is helpful. Why don't you think about joining a study group when it comes up for September or December? If you can, check out @"Cant Get Right" 's webinars on what to do post core curriculum. If not, take a look at webinars of how sages increased their scores like this one https://7sage.com/webinar/our-89-point-increase-story/ and David's 6 tips to doing it right https://7sage.com/webinar/davids-six-tips-on-doing-it-right/

Don't reinvent the wheel on this. Learn from the mistakes of others as well as your own. Use analytics. Take PTs and simulate test conditions. Be tough on yourself but also make sure you empower yourself with the information from the curriculum and other webinars. Review lessons on logic and grammar. Master the lesson quizzes. Fool poof your logic games. Again use analytics. You also have a community of people here who have been where you are now. You can do this!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

This is a very difficult. We here as a community have been through the ups and downs, the disappointments, the uncertainty and together we can all help each other, so I really do appreciate you reaching out to us on the forums for advice. Many people who have scored high on this exam have rebuilt from the very same position you are facing now. Many have had to start and restart from the bottom up, making sure the concepts stick.

Like many things in life: true perseverance is required if one is to grow.

My recommendation as a fellow traveler on this arduous journey to LSAT mastery is as follows:

-Take a few days, rest, take 3-4 days, no LSAT for a couple of days. I don't know if it is your cup of tea, but there is a UFC fight this Saturday that I promise you, will be one of the greatest of all time: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson. If that isn't in your wheelhouse, watch a show on Netflix, relax. Find something that can get your mind off the LSAT for a few days: come back refreshed!

-Begin a systematic rebuilding and redoubling of efforts from the ground up: conditional logic, arguments that employ an analogy, causation, phenomena/hypothesis: dig deeper than you ever have. Are the concepts a problem or did test day nerves get the best of you? Go deep into the material.

-Reach out on the forums if you need help with anything.

I hope this helps, stay in touch and feel free to reach out via message if you have any questions.
    David

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    This is a very difficult. We here as a community have been through the ups and downs, the disappointments, the uncertainty and together we can all help each other, so I really do appreciate you reaching out to us on the forums for advice. Many people who have scored high on this exam have rebuilt from the very same position you are facing now. Many have had to start and restart from the bottom up, making sure the concepts stick.

Like many things in life: true perseverance is required if one is to grow.

My recommendation as a fellow traveler on this arduous journey to LSAT mastery is as follows:

-Take a few days, rest, take 3-4 days, no LSAT for a couple of days. I don't know if it is your cup of tea, but there is a UFC fight this Saturday that I promise you, will be one of the greatest of all time: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson. If that isn't in your wheelhouse, watch a show on Netflix, relax. Find something that can get your mind off the LSAT for a few days: come back refreshed!

-Begin a systematic rebuilding and redoubling of efforts from the ground up: conditional logic, arguments that employ an analogy, causation, phenomena/hypothesis: dig deeper than you ever have. Are the concepts a problem or did test day nerves get the best of you? Go deep into the material.

-Reach out on the forums if you need help with anything.

I hope this helps, stay in touch and feel free to reach out via message if you have any questions.
    David

100% agree and 100% well put!

• camcam Alum Member
    349 karma

I'm in a similar boat. I wrote under my PT average by about 4 points. I wrote a 156, the average of my last 15 PT's prior was a 160. I wrote PT 80 3 days prior to the test with a 163. I knew that I was going to do either much better or much worse than my PT average based off of how I felt about the test (really good). I wrote the lowest score I have had since I think October.

My plan is essentially what @BinghamtonDave said. More than likely I will retake in December 2017 or February 2018. I work full time, take 6-9 credit hours at a time, and then don't have much of a social life. So, adjust this per your own timeline.

School/work is a bit hectic/insane in March, so I'm taking most of March off from LSAT (2 weeks of 12 credit hours while on tour). That should be enough time to give me as close to a clean slate as possible to restart my efforts.

Go back through the CC to ensure that I have a solid foundation, including practice sets. Rewatch the webinar on post-curriculum strategies and follow them. Fool proof logic games 50-80 (if time, add in 30-40 as well). Avoid burnout. I hit burnout hard in December and January. I'm applying concepts from the power lifting world since I did pretty AOK in that. Hit hard for 3 weeks, take one week pretty light, high hard for 3 weeks, take one week pretty light. The translation to LSAT, would be 3-4hrs per day during the week with a PT and blind review on the weekends for the hard weeks. The light weeks-focus on one aspect of the test for 1-2hrs per day with 3hrs on one of the weekend days either redoing a previous PT or doing 2-3 sections of whatever I am focused on for that week, for me, it will more than likely alternate between logic games and refining my RC techniques.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

All of the above advice is excellent. I have only a bit to add.

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I have a cup of Celestial Seasonings' Tension Tamer tea. (First please read all of the ingredients to make sure they will all agree with you and not undermine any aspects of your health.)

It is imperative that we guard our mental and physical health--that's the only way we can get through this dedamndable test to reach our ultimate goals.

The best advice I ever received was to consistently NOT look at the big picture too much---it's too overwhelming. (I know firsthand this is easier said than done.)

Start small: one day, and one step, at a time. Eat the whole "cake" like JY---one bite at a time. More importantly, don't expect to eat the whole "cake" in one day, or one sitting.

Best,
    Bev

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Great advice already, and I second the lot of it.

I had a moment like this as well. On my second take, I actually went down a point from my first. That put me into a pretty dark place for awhile. I gave up on law school, but eventually came back. I had to realize that my disappointing score had nothing to do with my intelligence or worth. It had everything to do with the effectiveness of my studying. Definitely take some time to be angry and frustrated and disappointed. When you're done though, get back to it with a resolve to strive for maximum effectiveness in your study habits. If you'd like, PM me and I'd be happy to talk with you about it. I've been there and I've come through the other side.

• RefresherRefresher Alum Member
    edited May 2018 90 karma

-

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma

+1 to what @"Cant Get Right" said! My second take was actually 4 points lower than my first, but I stayed resilient and took it a third time when I felt ready. Now I've been accepted to a few top 10 schools ;). It is possible!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Great advice from @BinghamtonDave and @"Cant Get Right" !! Don't fixate so much on time so much as how to study effectively. If you spend 10 hours a day doing the wrong things it won't really help as much as 4 hours studying effectively to build the skills that you need.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited March 2017 2426 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" said:
    Great advice from @BinghamtonDave and @"Cant Get Right" !! Don't fixate so much on time so much as how to study effectively. If you spend 10 hours a day doing the wrong things it won't really help as much as 4 hours studying effectively to build the skills that you need.

Totally agree with this. I wouldn't worry too much about time. Use the analytics spot your weaknesses and go back to the CC/drills to work on those soft spots, and do not move on until you have completely got it down. I believe at this point efficiency and effectiveness should be your first priority as opposed to an arbitrary time frame.

Just the fact that you've been at it for a year now and still not giving it up says a lot. You can do it, especially with massive support from the entire 7sage community. We are all here for you.

• armani__armani__ Member
    edited March 2017 60 karma

You know some of the people who commented on your post are the same people who have been commenting and posting stuff since i have joined. Not sure if they get free memberships to tell you to keep studying for years till you get your dream score or not because in my opinion reaching 170 isn't possible realistically for everyone because people brains, life situations are all different but what advice i would give you is just take your score and apply. Apply to a school and just get in. LSAT programs want you to keep studying so you keep having to pay for the materials even if it takes you 2-3 years. From talking to other law students who went to low tier schools was that they recommend for people in similar situations. I only offer this advice if your gave it your all in the year you study which seems like you did because you quit your job.
    1)getting into an ABA Law school
    2) Working your ass off first year to make top 10% percentile
    3)Transfer to top tier school after first year in law school, its easy and doable

Dont keep wasting your precious life studying for another 2-3 years maybe spend 1-2 max in my opinion. You gave it all you could for a year and thats great thats what i am doing. But its just not realistic to keep studying for five years because the cost benefit analysis/time value of money is your losing out on income each year you push back graduation. Let me know what you think of this advice?

edited May 2018 90 karma

-

90 karma

__> @armani__ said:

You know a lot of the people who commented on your post are the same people who have been commenting and posting stuff since i have joined. Not sure if they get free memberships to keep the activity alive in the discussions or not but what advice i would give you is just take your score and apply. Apply to a school and just get in. LSAT programs want you to keep studying so you keep having to pay for the materials even if it takes you 2-3 years. From talking to other law students who went to low tier schools was that they recommend
    1)getting into an ABA Law school
    2) Working your ass off first year to make top 10% percentile
    3)Transfer to top tier school after first year in law school, its easy and doable

Dont keep wasting your precious life studying. You gave it all you could for a year and thats great thats what i am doing. But its just not realistic to keep studying for five years because the cost benefit analysis is your losing out on income each year you push back graduation. Let me know what you think of this advice?

what's your situation?

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma

@armani__ I am really sorry you feel that way about the LSAT and prep companies. One thing I can vouch for is that people who comment on this forum, are doing so of their free will because they genuinely want to help people. A lot of them do have success stories and some are in the process of studying for theirs. This exam agreed is not about life and death, but people go through a rigorous process so they can get into their dream schools. I don't know about other prep companies, but I can vouch for 7sage in their sincerity and how they want everyone to do well. They definitely are not on LSAC payroll...signing up for this course is at everyones free will and if 7sage isn't giving you the result you want, there are other prep companies that can help you. This is such a positive community, and I've met truly wonderful people..but implying that the commenters here are doing so with an hidden agenda is not the right way to go about things. I hope you have a wonderful day :smile:

• TimLSAT180TimLSAT180 Alum Member
    619 karma

@Jessica_Kuba such inspiring words Jessica! I just want to add some personal advice of my own. I've been studying for the LSAT for only about 2 months now and really, the thing that has motivated beyond anything to study for this test is the process of learning new **skills.** It's really stressful to approach this test with the mentality of wanting to reach a certain number like 170. While trying to reach a certain number is a completely reasonable source of motivation to study for this test, personally, my mental state has been doing much better once I switched my source of motivation to attaining useful skills that I can apply in my everyday life such as reading effectively, making good arguments, being able to distinguish good and bad arguments (I do this everyday when I turn on the TV or talk with a friend), etc. People have a tendency to think that this test is simply a standardized exam like the SAT and doesn't have actual value in life, but I think otherwise. And once I started seeing that this test as something worthy and of great value, I began to enjoy studying for it every single day. So, my advice to you is don't focus too much on the number. Try to focus on something else that actually is meaningful to you in your life. Trust me, once you find it, you'll definitely be wanting to study this LSAT everyday with alacrity. Hope this helps!

60 karma

@Mangoblacktea
    Check lawschoolnumbers.com
    I have seen a few law schools in CA that accept on average a 148 score. Your at a 149 so depending on your GPA and other aspects you still have a chance to go to Golden Gate University in SF. Sure its not a top tier school but just get your foot in, work hard and possibly transfer.
    @Jessica_Kuba
    Never said people commenting are on LSAC payroll. Read carefully what i said, you should be able to do that if your studying for the LSAT right? I said what i said because no one was giving him advice that is realistic for his situation. He quit his job, him like me have to work and study along with many other people. It seemed like people were telling him to keep studying for years but in his situation it might be best to wait another year but what if he cant due to the fact he needs to work and cant study full time. Thats why i said what i said and tried giving him a different view for his situation. I enjoy 7sage and it has helped me a lot. I have taken other programs which have their pros and cons just like 7sage.

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma

@armani__, I did read carefully what you wrote and I am sure I did not misinterpret anything. You did say, you weren't sure if they were getting "free membership" (what did you mean by that?). These commenters you referred to are mentors, they volunteered to do so on their own free will. The OP was seeking advice, and they gave it to him. The fact that they've been here a long time does not mean their advice does not hold merit, if the OP did not want advice from a public forum then he wouldn't have posted his question here. I am pretty sure that anyone who read your reply, thought the same thing I did.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@armani__ said:
    @Mangoblacktea
    Check lawschoolnumbers.com
    I have seen a few law schools in CA that accept on average a 148 score. Your at a 149 so depending on your GPA and other aspects you still have a chance to go to Golden Gate University in SF. Sure its not a top tier school but just get your foot in, work hard and possibly transfer.
    @Jessica_Kuba
    Never said people commenting are on LSAC payroll. Read carefully what i said, you should be able to do that if your studying for the LSAT right? I said what i said because no one was giving him advice that is realistic for his situation. He quit his job, him like me have to work and study along with many other people. It seemed like people were telling him to keep studying for years but in his situation it might be best to wait another year but what if he cant due to the fact he needs to work and cant study full time. Thats why i said what i said and tried giving him a different view for his situation. I enjoy 7sage and it has helped me a lot. I have taken other programs which have their pros and cons just like 7sage.

Armani you offered counter advice and while that's great, many people here, including myself, will disagree. That's fine because now it's OP's decision to decide what route they will take. There's no need to come up with assumptions about people who comment on here nor is there a reason to question people's intelligence who disagree with you. We can all agree that this test is extremely strenuous. Some people will gladly accept a 149 LSAT but it seems as though OP isn't satisfied with that. The solution? Keep trying. Even with a job. There are people out there who've managed a 170 score while working. Some chose to quit their jobs and others didn't have the luxury. Does that mean those who still need to work should accept a score they aren't satisfied with? Of course not.

60 karma

@Jessica_Kuba Your making a generalization relax. Again your saying that i think their advice does not hold merit which i never said. They gave great advice such as look at his weak points and freshen up on those lessons but no one was giving him advice from another angel hence why i gave my point of advice. Your making a generalization from what i said and are inferring what you say everyone is going to agree with you when thats not possible since you dont speak on behalf of every single person on 7sage. I'm sorry if you got offended that i said "free memberships" but no way does that mean i discredit other mentors advice.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@armani__ said:
    Never said people commenting are on LSAC payroll. Read carefully what i said, you should be able to do that if your studying for the LSAT right?

Tone down the snark, please. You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else is, but you really don't have to be rude about it to other people.

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/15/forum-rules

1. Be nice. Behind the screen is a person reading what you say to them.
    edited March 2017 60 karma

@"montaha.rizeq"
    Agreed with all that your saying man. It's all his decision your right. Just wanted to give a different perspective on his situation because it seemed he was tired of studying. I have talked to successful lawyers that didnt do well on test such as LSAT. They killed it at law school even though it was a lower tier law school and beat out top tier law school graduates for jobs after graduation. Just wanted to tell him there is another route if he may not be a good test taker. The LSAT doesnt determine how successful of a lawyer he will become even though it does determine what school you get into and help get you into your dream school

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@armani__ said:
    @"montaha.rizeq"
    Agreed with all that your saying man. It's all his decision your right. Just wanted to give a different perspective on his situation because it seemed he was tired of studying. I have talked to successful lawyers that didnt do well on test such as LSAT. They killed it at law school even though it was a lower tier law school and beat out top tier law school graduates for jobs after graduation. Just wanted to tell him there is another route if he may not be a good test taker. The LSAT doesnt determine how successful of a lawyer he will become even though it does determine what school you get into and help get you into your dream school

Yeah. Lots of us are sick of this test and would do anything to be done with it. For some, that means take the first score you get and run but others aren't willing to accept defeat no matter how warn out they are. Of course getting a 170 on the LSAT isn't a guarantee that you'll be top of your class in law school nor does it mean job opportunities are waiting for you in 3 years. Some people are naturally really good standardized test takers. But that's not dismissing the fact that this test is the single most important thing on your application. I've learned that you have to be in great shape mentally to score well and to not have breakdowns in the middle of it. The LSAT will destroy any ounce of ego you possess and it will make you feel dumb and maybe even worthless. But that's where self reliance comes in to play. Once you understand your worth and if you truly want the 170+ and not just the idea of a 170+, there's a great possibility that with proper studying you will achieve that. My main point is to be satisfied with the score you get because you know you earned it. Not because you just want to move on for whatever reason. The LSAT isn't like other tests. It has a great correlation to what you do in law school. I made a post about this a few weeks ago. Just don't cheat yourself out of a good score because you're tired.

60 karma

WELL PUT @"montaha.rizeq"

edited June 2017 90 karma

edited May 2018 90 karma

-

90 karma

Thank you everyone.