Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drained brain?

NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
in General 620 karma

Any ideas on how to manage mental sharpness? I'm always trying to push through when I hit a wall... Otherwise, I exercise, rigorously practice cello, play games, meditate, or drink coffee... My mental capacity seems to be declining every time I tackle the study. Help.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

The material on the exam can be quite dense and therefore requires a pretty intense focus. What has helped for me is to spend whatever downtime I have reading complex and dense material. Another thing that has been invaluable to me is a good night sleep.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Sounds like you're burnt out to me. I'd recommend taking a week off and relaxing. When you come back, healthy diet, exercise, sleep, and mentality are all huge components. I had a student the other day who really just needed to have eaten a sandwich before taking the section we were reviewing, lol. In all seriousness, it cost her at least three points on the one section.

• MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma

I recommend at least 3 days off if not 4 or 5. When I get to this point, I veg a little, and try to do some active mental rest like a quality, make you think podcast or chess.

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

More sleep? I wouldn't recommend taking breaks. Maybe a day at the most.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Thanks guys! I think taking a break from the course material is definitely necessary... I was getting wrecked by the last few problem sets for the LR section. I was getting mostly perfect scores with 100% certainty on both right/wrong answers but the aforementioned sections were really really difficult. Took the advice of @BinghamtonDave and been reading a few articles on The Economist and The New York Times today. @"Cant Get Right" Yeah, I suspected that was the case lol.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2017 3072 karma

I would recommend taking breaks, for sure. I've taken many breaks in my 6 months, and I always came back to my studies more confident and achieving better section scores. The human brain can be fickle and mysterious, but there's no doubt it needs reprieves from intensive study from time to time. There is a reason you have month long breaks in college and law school. Stamina is not unlimited.