Working + Studying a cocktail for disaster?

FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
in General 127 karma

Wasup 7sage community. So I took my LSAT in February... had been studying for 3 months at that point, but did not feel like I was at my peak. There was definitely room for improvement in all three sections. I still took it, and although I got a solid score, I know I can do better. So I'm deciding to take again and get it right this time...

The thing is, I am taking a two-year gap before law school. Ideally, I want to get solid work experience during this time. I am debating between taking it June or September... and am leaning towards September because the last thing I want is to rush myself again and put myself in a tough situation if I don't perform in June. However, I do not see myself full-time studying for 6 months... I want to look for a full-time internship/position. If I am giving myself 6 months, + the time I have already spent with the exam, is it feasible to hit my goal score range? Basically, is it necessary in the months leading up to the exam to be zeroed in on the LSAT or can solid prep allow for a more relaxed schedule? If anyone has been in a similar situation or can lend some words of wisdom, I would truly appreciate it.

Comments

• lgsb0629lgsb0629 Alum Member
    100 karma

Hello,
    I think people underestimate how difficult it is to work full time and then go home and study for the LSAT. I work a full-time as a legal assistant with an immigration attorney. Like you, I wanted to get my feet wet in the law field after undergrad to gain experience and give myself a break from undergrad. I advise you to not rush studying. Take your time but be consistent. I was supposed to take the September LSAT but studying with a prep company for four months only made my score improve 5 points. I'm going to be honest and say that mild score increase was due to the fact that I was mentally/emotionally drained from work that at the end of the day I was not able to really focus on implementing and really studying for the LSAT. My goal now is the June LSAT. I think the most important part is being disciplined, determined, and consistent. Set yourself up a schedule for study after work/before work. Don't try to do too much at once or you will burn out quick. A schedule i'm comfortable with now is waking up early to workout, then I work my 9 hours with a walk during my lunch break, I get home, eat my pre-cooked dinner, go for another walk and study a good 3-4 hours a night. I do most of my studying during the weekends. I have no social life, other than eating out with my boyfriend for dinner during the weekends. I walk/exercise to keep my emotionally/mentally balanced. Otherwise, I'd go crazy, especially in my field and the clients I have -_- lol. It might be different for you but this is what works for me. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I actually don't think it's a recipe for disaster. But it definitely requires a lot more discipline. For me, I have found that having a job forces me to focus much harder during my study time because I know I won't get much more opportunities to study throughout the day. Having such a schedule has been more beneficial to me than studying full time.

Granted, I'm by no means saying that it's easier. I would much rather prefer not to wake up so early but it gives me
    comfort for the rest of the day knowing that I got the bulk of my studying done before 9am.

Sure you aren't studying for 6 hours a day. Sure you're often tired while studying. Of course it sucks. But it is definitely possible to study and study well while working full time. I find the quality of my time now is much better than the quantity, even if it took me a while to learn this.

Hope this helps!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

So I think it really depends on the job, hours, requirements, and what exactly the job entails. I recently decided to leave a job due to unpredictable hours and mandatory work on weekends at least 2-3 weekends a month. However, I think if you can find a solid 9-5 where you aren't burning out all your willpower and mental capacities, you can do it.

If it all possible, would you consider taking a gap year of just working, getting some experience, and then studying for the LSAT?

In any case, with the right attitude, discipline, and job, it isn't a fool's errand to try to prep and work. You can always try to wake up a bit early get a couple hours in and then do another 2-3 at night.

The best words of wisdom I can give would be that law school isn't going anywhere and you can take the test whenever you are damn well ready. Don't put undue pressure on yourself to take before you are ready.

Good luck!

• 524 karma

I'm working a 9 to 5 job and studying during lunch, nights, and weekends. What I would recommend is doing some hard math (i.e., how many hours of studying can I do in a week and do I think that it will be enough for me to achieve my goal?) and being honest with yourself about what kind of a schedule you can stick to while working. The thing with working and studying is that you will (most likely) have to spread it out across a longer period of time. It does not mean that it's not possible, it just means that it may not fit your ideal timeline.

Also, if you do end up working and studying, make sure that you are taking care of yourself physically and emotionally - get enough sleep every night, drink water, exercise, eat well (read: brain food!), and meditate. I have been doing this recently and I have noticed a huge difference in my energy level and ability to stay focused.

Happy studying!

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Hey! I'm working full-time and up until this weekend had a job on Saturdays on top of that. It definitely is do-able but it also fully depends on the person. I actually think it's way harder for me to get quality study time in on the weekends rather than during the week because I'm already focused and have a limited time schedule so it makes me work that much harder. But you do have to be honest with yourself. There are some weeks where it is literally emotionally and mentally draining but you can't push yourself over the edge! Balance is key :)