Same undergrad + law school

annannannannannann Alum Member
edited April 2017 in General 304 karma

What do you think are the pros + cons of attending the same law school as one’s undergrad? I’m really debating whether or not I even want to apply to my undergrad for law school (considering the application fees + effort and all). I’ve accumulated a list and I would really like others’ input as well!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@annannann said:
    What do you think are the pros + cons of attending the same law school as one’s undergrad? I’m really debating whether or not I even want to apply to my undergrad for law school (considering the application fees + effort and all). I’ve accumulated a list and I would really like others’ input as well!

I've definitely thought about this because my UG also has a law school.... Honestly, I think it varies school by school and there isn't going to be one overarching list of pros and cons.

That said, I know that one argument I've heard against going to the same school for UG and LS is that your alumni network might not be as geographically diverse or large than if one attends a different school for UG and law school.

Other than that I think many of the other pros/cons can only be evaluated on a case by case basis.

• annannannannannann Alum Member
    304 karma

@"Alex Divine" Hmm.. you're right! It'll probably be more helpful if I explain my situation.

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    edited April 2017 108 karma

Pros
    *Some colleges have direct access where you don't even have to take the LSAT (I.E. Texas A&M) - May get into the school easier.
    *May know the Teachers well/get along well; They may assist you better. Considering you already goto a tier 1 school that's great.
    *You already know the area/school - It may feel like your just continuing your UG schooling - Wouldn't have to find a new place to live (unless you wanted to).

Cons
    *Teachers may know you already and dislike you. (the Catch 22)
    *May not get scholarship or tuition discount. Student loan debt can cut your knees off later on with future life.
    *The school may not have the networking opportunities (like Alex mentioned).
    *Depending on what your planning on doing with your JD - the school may not have the best program for you.

Honestly, If your comfortable with the school, the area, want to practice law in that School's State, know the program is top notch, can get in with it being a good investment (no crazy tuition) - I say it may be your best bet!

Good luck!

• annannannannannann Alum Member
    304 karma

@Colin1485 Thanks for your input, Colin!