Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic games penciling in

rogersalexandra7rogersalexandra7 Alum Member
in Logic Games 213 karma

Hi! for each question ill use a pencil and factor in what each question wants me to into the diagram and then erase and move on to the next problem but I feel as though that is wasting a lot of time but Im having trouble with visually placing the new information in or figuring out the questions alone without diagramming them, does anyone have any advice to get rid of the penciling in factor? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

The general rule is to never erase anything because it is time consuming and eliminates our ability to reuse that information for future questions. Actually, it's bad for a whole host of other reasons too. So just don't erase lol. Small errors can be scratched out.

The most efficient approach to games is to draw your master game board at the beginning based on the rules. This gameboard(s) should illustrate all possible worlds or at least represent all constraints that any world must abide by.

As we proceed through the questions, we can get some answers by visualizing from our master gameboards. For other questions, such as when we are given a new rule ("Suppose X goes first"), we may draw a sub-gameboard. Some games will include many sub-gameboards. We can use previous sub-gameboards to answer questions in some instances.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I don't think that you should be diagramming each question...that takes way too long. Granted, some questions require you to diagram and some don't. I would recommend using your original diagram, create boards as you see fit, and try to visualize how the questions play into your preexisting diagram. You'll find that, often times, you can literally see the inferences and you'll be able to move on much faster :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2017 9382 karma

I don't erase diagrams. I try not to diagram too much, but I sometimes do for "could be true" questions.

For example, there was a question that says "If Fs are in 3 and 5," and one answer choice asks whether G and H can be in 1 and 6 respectively.
    So I wrote:
    G _ F _ F _ H
    But the rules say "G --> G I", "I --> I N" so I was like "no...!" and scratched out.
    Like this:
    http://imgur.com/unMHQNa
    (I shouldn't have written 1,2,3,4,5,6. Too time consuming)

Unless there are new rules, I try to use the master game board and visualize.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'll echo the above advice. Erasing wastes time. Learn to write small and neat and always save each diagram you draw out. Often you can use prior diagrams to answer subsequent questions.

If you're just learning games or haven't mastered them yet, don't worry about having to diagram almost every question out. You'll eventually get better and be able to see and manipulate the game pieces in your head.

• rogersalexandra7rogersalexandra7 Alum Member
    213 karma

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Just to think this thread may look historic for future LSATs if LSAC ever decides to go digital lol

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    Just to think this thread may look historic for future LSATs if LSAC ever decides to go digital lol

You still get scratch paper for the digital version of the test (as of now) and you have a stylus to write on the screen of the digital "pages". Unless things drastically change, this will still be relevant.

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

You still get scratch paper for the digital version of the test (as of now) and you have a stylus to write on the screen of the digital "pages". Unless things drastically change, this will still be relevant.

Oh of course. I was referring to the idea of using an eraser as opposed to deleting from a screen.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

Oh of course. I was referring to the idea of using an eraser as opposed to deleting from a screen.

ohh haha yeah i should have figured that out. I largely skimmed through the discussion and missed that entirely. It would be mind blowing if they allowed copy/pasting with the digital stylus.. draw one board and then paste it for every question since it wouldn't take any additional time.

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

ohh haha yeah i should have figured that out. I largely skimmed through the discussion and missed that entirely. It would be mind blowing if they allowed copy/pasting with the digital stylus.. draw one board and then paste it for every question since it wouldn't take any additional time.

Now THAT'S an idea.