Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preptest with or without writing section?

yuliyakhromyakyuliyakhromyak Free Trial Member
in General 12 karma

When is a good time to introduce practicing the writing section of the exam? Or do you even have to?

So far I have been only doing the timed 4-part preptests to make sure I have those sections ready to go by test day, but always skipped the writing parts. Is it useful to practice them, or skip them since the subjects change so often?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

I don't think the writing section is really something you have to study for... I believe LSAC sends it to the schools you're applying for, but LSAC themselves don't grade them. Just make sure you have a decent grasp on writing for the essay.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/prep/writing-sample

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@yuliyakhromyak said:
    When is a good time to introduce practicing the writing section of the exam? Or do you even have to?

So far I have been only doing the timed 4-part preptests to make sure I have those sections ready to go by test day, but always skipped the writing parts. Is it useful to practice them, or skip them since the subjects change so often?

I wouldn't bother practicing the writing sample unless you have trouble with English.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I've looked at a few of them back when I started prepping and as @extramedium says above, you don't really have to worry about them unless English is an issue. Otherwise, maybe practice doing a few of them before you sit for the test just to get a feel. You'll be fine I'm sure :)

• beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma

Speaking from experience, I never practiced the writing section and I did not finish in time. Quite embarrassing and good thing i'm retaking. I think what happened is I didn't have the stamina for another 35 minutes, a tough lesson learned. I've practiced three of them now and will continue to do so, now and then, as I refine my process. It takes me a good 5-10 mins just to get my thoughts together on which choice to support, how to support it with the information provided and then write up an outline. Then 10-15 minutes of actual writing. Any remainder of time I spend on proof reading.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited May 2017 3112 karma

If it is any consolation, I have never taken a writing sample during my practice tests and felt adequately prepared on the actual. Chances are quite high that if you are thinking about this, you are going to do better than most regardless. I don't think it is necessary to do them.