*Bubbling Method* - how do you bubble LR, LG, RC?

MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
edited May 2017 in General 125 karma

Any thoughts or input on the best way to bubble? After every question, after every page, or after every two-page spread, or any others? I've tested out those three methods so far but so far none of them seem to be substantially better than the rest, because there seem to be different pros and cons for each.

I've also skimmed through the past discussions, but still can't make up my mind about it.

Also, my two cents: -after every question- feels ever so slightly less stressful, but -after every two-page spread- doesn't break rhythm/pace as much.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I believe this to be one of those things that comes down to personal preference. I had a habit of bubbling in after every question because of paranoia about mis-bubbling. I find that it breaks my flow, especially on LR. Now I bubble in after every two-page spread on LR/RC and every game on LG.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2017 9377 karma

I think J.Y. recommends after every two page spread. I used to do it after every page but it takes a lot of time....

• MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
    edited May 2017 125 karma

@"Alex Divine" makes sense, that also confirms my thoughts on breaking the flow.
    (sidenote: you are not only a pencil guru, but also a bubbling guru! thank you :smiley: )

@akistotle that is useful to know! thanks :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@MapleSarahp said:
    @"Alex Divine" makes sense, that also confirms my thoughts on breaking the flow.
    (sidenote: you are not only a pencil guru, but also a bubbling guru! thank you :smiley: )

@akistotle that is useful to know! thanks :smiley:

Haha, No problem! I'm glad my obsession with writing utensils wasn't fully a waste ;)

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

I'm constantly amazed at the things you guys bring up here at 7Sage! I'm a bubble-as-you-go type of guy, but to each their own.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shanedrider said:
    I'm constantly amazed at the things you guys bring up here at 7Sage! I'm a bubble-as-you-go type of guy, but to each their own.

The little stuff matters... sometimes... lmao

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

Come on people, lets put together arguments and decide on the best way. Make an argument, and defend it against other arguments.

I bubble after every LG, every RC passage, and every two pages on LR.

My argument is that every act of pulling your answer sheet into position and transferring answers takes valuable time. So with this argument in mind, we must consider the possibility that bubbling at the very end of the each section could be the most time preserving way.

But, we have to weigh this against another variable, which is accuracy (we are also relying on the assumption you can finish each section with time left). Bubbling incorrectly could be a fatal error. So in order to find a happy medium between time preservation and accuracy, I believe the superior way to bubble is the method I and others mentioned above.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@jknauf said:
    Come on people, lets put together arguments and decide on the best way. Make an argument, and defend it against other arguments.

My argument is that every act of pulling your answer sheet into position and transferring answers takes valuable time. So with this argument in mind, we must consider the possibility that bubbling at the very end of the each section could be the most time preserving way.

But, we have to weigh this against another variable, which is accuracy (we are also relying on the assumption you can finish each section with time left). Bubbling incorrectly could be a fatal error. So in order to find a happy medium between time preservation and accuracy, I believe the superior way to bubble is the method I and others mentioned above.

Good argument.
    I agree. I think this way is the best of both worlds. You aren't wasting time/losing your pace bubbling in every question. But you also aren't waiting until the very end to bubble in. And because you're breaking it up a bit, you aren't as prone to mis-bubbling as you could be.

• MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
    edited May 2017 125 karma

@jknauf said:

Great argument @jknauf , thank you :smiley:

"bubble after every double means no trouble"

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I like to bubble in after each game, after each passage, and after each LR page. I feel like the slight time between bubbling is a minor mental break lol.

• WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma

I bubble after every question. It helps me reset to a new question each time.

• annannannannannann Alum Member
    edited May 2017 304 karma

What about the questions you skip? Do you leave them blank?

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@annannann said:
    What about the questions you skip? Do you leave them blank?

So it depends. If I have a 50-50 shot, I would pick one on my scantron incase I don't have time for some awful reason but I would not mark which one on the test book itself. I would put a notation by the stimulus that communicates to me that this question is a high priority on my round two.

For question's that I skip immediately I would leave the scantron blank and again mark my book in a manner that communicates to me I need to come back to this on my round two.

As far as my personal bubbling strategy goes for LR I bubble in after every page, after every game and for RC after every passage.

One piece of advice I got was to use a scantron and bubble in even when I am drilling sections. This trains your mind to bubble in and doesn't seem like its breaking the flow either.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

@MapleSarahp said:

Well, this one rhymes, so I've got to second it unless someone can make a more compelling case against. It's just like other great sayings:
    Beer before liquor, feel better quicker.
    Red on yellow, a friendly fellow
    and of course
    "i" after "e" except before "c."

I also agree with other arguments that this method breaks rhythm less. It is to be preferred until experience shows that it's problematic for some reason.

• xnnmanxnnman Free Trial Member
    6 karma

LR, page by page. LG game by game, RC passage by passage.

• knochinknochin Free Trial Member
    25 karma

I'd circle on the tests and then bubble before every page turn. Doing it after every question drove me insane and seemed to waste previous seconds.

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

@MapleSarahp said:

Hahaha yesss