Scoring 170 + on practice lsats?

sharon.kashani14sharon.kashani14 Free Trial Member
in General 24 karma

Hey, anybody out there scoring 170 on their practice LSATs? I'm beginning my studying, and I want to make sure I kill it and do it right. How are you going about it? Do you make sure that you're only studying in absolute silence or something? Always in a library/ in your favourite chair at home? Have some sort of night ritual that helps it all sink in? My GPA is 3.9, so I think I have a real chance at bringing in a high score. Much appreciated.

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Good question! Would love to hear these responses!

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

@"sharon.kashani14
    What was your diagnostic LSAT if you have already done one and don't mind sharing that with me?

• BlbbrNggtBlbbrNggt Member
    edited May 2017 51 karma

A couple things... so I have taken 15 prep tests and scored 3 in the 170's (171 171 and a 172) all full length, bubble sheet, and with the LSAT 5 section proctor from 7sage (so they were fair). with that being said... my average score is 167 and I am bouncing around with my lowest at 162 on a bad day. GPA won't really translate to LSAT scores what so ever. Not sure what your major is, but the only skills that will translate from undergrad in my opinion are your abilities to read quickly, your work ethic, and your vocabulary. Other than that... GPA is not at all representative of how you will perform on an LSAT. It is extremely important to recognize this fact, and not underestimate this test. 7sage recommends a minimum of a year studying and 40 prep tests. Not only do they have empirical data points form all of their users, but from their reputation, and my own personal experience, I would second that advice. I graduated back in December with two degrees, one in mol bio, and the other in chemistry. I'd like to consider myself intelligent and capable of very dense course work, but believe me, the LSAT is a whole different animal. Due to my undergrad work I have spent my senior year on and off studying and I am working for 2 years post graduation specifically to save up money for law school and study for the LSAT (lawyers are not in high demand lately and you should be cautious about loans given the new administration). I will tell you that the LSAT is an easy test to do okay on (low to mid 160s), but extremely hard to master (174+). It took me about 5 months of on and off drills (not the right 7sage way) before I hit my first 171. It wasn't a fluke either because a week later I did it again. Then 2 weeks after that a 172. When you take your tests and study, make sure you are in a place with no distractions. ALWAYS correct every question you miss. To master the LSAT you basically need to re-wire how your brain thinks and it's much harder than you might imagine it to be. I recommend casually working old games you've already done during breaks or lunch. re-read arguments and re-read RC sections to constantly keep your skills sharp. BEAT IT INTO YOUR HEAD. LSAT needs to become a second language to you. Listen to people when they speak and see if you can think of the necessary assumptions they are making and the logic flaws of people you hear talking on the radio. The LSAT is by no means impossible. Be patient, but more importantly never settle for anything but the score you really wanted. I am predicting 175's by december of this year, granted work doesn't get to crazy. TAKE YOUR TIME. The LSAT really is that important. Think of it this way.. if you consider the total tuition cost of a top 20 law school, and consider the 60 points between a 120 and a 180, it translates to costing you around $1,500 per exam score you drop (assuming a 180 could get you a guaranteed full ride offer to a top 20 law school). Good luck!

• LG_CandideLG_Candide Alum Member
    72 karma

IMHO, do whatever works for you when you study for anything else--you have a 3.9 GPA so I have a feeling you know what you're doing in that department. There's no need to reinvent the wheel here!
    However, as far as taking PTs, I think it's important to consistently do what you will do on your actual test day. I'm taking it in June, which is the afternoon test date, so I get up around 10, shower, eat breakfast/lunch, then take my test. You want to reduce test-day surprises as much as possible, and a big part of that is getting the test-day ritual down.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    edited May 2017 1644 karma

@BlbbrNggt Thanks for sharing your experience and valuable advice. So you get admission in T14 with high 170s?

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1008 karma

Having a good GPA doesn't translate to scoring well on the LSAT. They are separate beasts. With that said, I think the key in this entire process is having a balance between humility and confidence. Some might get a bad diagnostic score and place a limit on their potential. On the other hand, others might think that they are entitled to a good score because they have always been successful and have been good "test takers." The LSAT is not a memorization test, and requires TIME to master the skills necessary. It also requires grueling analysis and really changing the way one thinks. It is like learning a new language, and it takes a while to be FLUENT in a new language.

When someone is over-confident and proud, they not only do less prep than needed, but also prep in a wrong way: just blaze through the PTs and only glance at what they've missed. This does not translate to building new skills.

When someone is under-confident, then they interpret slow-improvement and score plateaus as a sign that they have maxed out on their potential.

So you gotta be humble enough to recognize that you are like a baby learning a new language, but confident enough that even when you are not scoring well and improving at a very slow rate, you will improve one day.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

First, and above all else:
    If you're just beginning your studies, do not take practice tests.

Taking practice tests is a vital part of the process, but it is also an advanced one. Taking a practice test does not teach you fundamentals. It diagnoses your weaknesses and directs your studies. Right now, you don't need a test to identify your weaknesses. You're weak across the board because you're just getting started and we are all terrible at the LSAT at the beginning.

So, if you take tests now, you will not benefit from them. You will also deny yourself those practice tests for once you are ready for them. You can only take a fresh PT once. Once you've seen it, it is spent and you can never have it back. So don't deny yourself those tests. You are going to need them.

Until you're ready, I recommend picking up a 7Sage starter pack. You get the full curriculum and plenty of practice material. Once you've finished that, then you can begin taking an occasional PT. Good luck!