Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge PT/Timing Anxiety Affecting Performance...

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
in General 737 karma

Good morning everyone,

So I've been "studying" for a long time now, nearing 1.5 years. Pushed back for various reasons, but I'm really convinced that, although I'm sure I'll miss an inference, rule, strategy, whatever we learn from the curriculum, I'm very familiar with it. When I blind review, I know what I did wrong, and I obviously try not to make that mistake again.

My biggest issue I think is my anxiety when I do a PT or a timed section. Granted, I've only taken about 7 PT's, and my highest has been a 151 (BR 160), and I know a lot of people here will say "you need to go back to the curriculum" or "you need to drill more".

I agree that I may perhaps need to drill more, but don't you guys feel that the best way to overcome this issue is by doing more timed sections, drilling question types, PT'ing and then blind reviewing? I just feel that if timing and anxiety while testing is a big issue, I'd have to tackle that by doing timed sections, no? Any advice will help. I'm realistic with my goals, and will receive any constructive criticism well :D

Thanks everyone

Comments

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11301/questions-for-the-lr-1-2ers This is a very informative discussion and I think you'd benefit from reading it :)

• GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
    edited June 2017 140 karma

You need to be able to fully understand how to get the questions right in an untimed setting before you should start worrying about timing. Going faster means nothing if you can't get the problems right. With more understanding, will come faster times. You will understand the stimulus better and know exactly what the question wants from you so you can go through the answer choices much faster because you will see whats obviously wrong and quickly eliminate them instead of taking a while to consider each answer choice.

Drill and revisit the curriculum until you can get near to 180 on blind review. Doing a timed PT every now and then to track your progress is fine, but save at least 20 PTs until you can reach near 180 on blind review consistently. Figure out your weaknesses during blind review and drill those questions types in between your next PT. During blind review make sure you understand why you got each problem wrong so you learn from those mistakes. Good luck, you got this.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I agree with @"work all week"

Fool proof logic games if you haven't already. Then drill over and over and over again for LR and RC. Fundamentally understand your task for each type of question and then practice the correct problem solving process hundreds of times.

A gap of 9 points between your timed score and your BR score is not really that unusual. Taking a timed test is going to be stressful no matter what. A BR score of 160 indicates that you have not mastered the knowledge of the LSAT. You would probably be faster on test day and less anxious if you had a better grasp of the knowledge behind the test.

I would stay away from doing too many PTs. Stick to drills and questions in PTs 1-35. You should be able to just feel yourself getting better intuitively. Maybe take a PT every 3-4 weeks to test your expanded knowledge.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"work all week" said:

Drill and revisit the curriculum until you can get near to 180 on blind review.

I agree with @"work all week". The best way to increase your score is to increase your BR score first.

@AllezAllez21 said:
    Fool proof logic games if you haven't already. Then drill over and over and over again for LR and RC. Fundamentally understand your task for each type of question and then practice the correct problem solving process hundreds of times.

I agree! I recommend @Pacifico 's LG Attack Strategy: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I agree with all comments. If you were testing at a 150 but BR-ing at a 180 then I'd say your problem was a nerve/timing/anxiety issue. But since it's not, it's best to get back to fool proofing. It's understandable you may want to jump into testing after 1.5 years of going at it but take your time, you'll get there ;-)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Yeah, it really depends on your goals. A +9 increase on your BR is great, and there's still plenty of room to push that higher. Depending on your goal score, you may need to focus on that exclusively. If you want to score a 165, then a 160 with unlimited time means you've got to focus on fundamentals before thinking too much about timing strategy. But if you're aiming for a 155, then you know enough to get there with better pacing. It's still worth pushing that higher, but not quite as essential as if your goal score is above your BR score. To push your BR score higher, do things like return to the curriculum, question/game/passage type drills, and untimed section drills. to work on bridging the gap between your timed and BR scores, the best thing to start with is to do filmed timed drills and then analyze the footage. Use that to give yourself feedback on your time management and adjust your pacing strategy accordingly.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Thanks to everyone that took their time to help and comment here, I really appreciate it. As we all know, this test can be pretty damn frustrating haha. Thanks again everyone :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"work all week" said:
    You need to be able to fully understand how to get the questions right in an untimed setting before you should start worrying about timing. Going faster means nothing if you can't get the problems right. With more understanding, will come faster times. You will understand the stimulus better and know exactly what the question wants from you so you can go through the answer choices much faster because you will see whats obviously wrong and quickly eliminate them instead of taking a while to consider each answer choice.

Drill and revisit the curriculum until you can get near to 180 on blind review. Doing a timed PT every now and then to track your progress is fine, but save at least 20 PTs until you can reach near 180 on blind review consistently. Figure out your weaknesses during blind review and drill those questions types in between your next PT. During blind review make sure you understand why you got each problem wrong so you learn from those mistakes. Good luck, you got this.

Yeah, this for sure.

Also, like you said you've only taken 7 PTs, so you still have a lot of practicing to go.