PT27.S2.Q15 - it is often said that beauty is subjective

Cecilia ZCecilia Z Member
edited June 2017 in Logical Reasoning 144 karma

Hey everyone!

Could anyone shed some light as to the issues with (D)? I didn't select it because I had an eerie feeling about it, but even as I read over it now I can't seem to put my finger on why it's incorrect. The more I read (D), the more I think (D) could suggest that beauty is subjective, which would effectively weaken the argument. Thoughts?

Here's the link to the question! https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-27-section-4-question-15/

Thank you!

Comments

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

Hi @"Cecilia ZH" , I'm not sure if this is the WHOLE reason why D is wrong, but this is one reason:

The word "important" in answer D is completely new. The question stem talks about artistic works found to be most beautiful, but it doesn't say anything about what artistic works were found to be important. Thus, this answer has an unknown impact on the conclusion that beauty is not subjective.

• GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
    140 karma

Even if D suggested that beauty could be subjective, that isn't what we need because it doesn't affect how the premise supports the conclusion. That may weaken the conclusion, but that isn't what our job is. We have to weaken the support the premise gives to the conclusion. The premise is "there is remarkable similarity in what is considered beautiful between earlier cultures and our culture." The conclusion is "Therefore, beauty is not subjective." One good way to weaken the support of that premise is to say as C does "our standard of beauty is based on the earlier cultures." This hints that the two beauty standards didn't independently come to the same agreement about what beauty is. This greatly reduces the support that premise gave to the conclusion.