Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I too behind?

missionsmissions Alum Member

Hello all,

So, I'm basically 1 month behind, but I'm trying to make up for lost time (I work at a law firm, and I work A LOT of overtime), but essentially the only thing I can really see (in terms of losing out) would be the number of PTs taken before the Sept. 2017 LSAT. I am leaning towards just finishing the CC (I'm in the Ultimate+) and have about let's say 16 "topics" to do, and I think what I will do is cover the topics (but not do every single problem set). Maybe do 1-4 problem sets for each topic and then move on to the PTs in preparation for the Sept. LSAT.

Thoughts?

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

@missions said:
    I am leaning towards just finishing the CC (I'm in the Ultimate+) and have about let's say 16 "topics" to do, and I think what I will do is cover the topics (but not do every single problem set). Maybe do 1-4 problem sets for each topic and then move on to the PTs in preparation for the Sept. LSAT.

I think it really depends on your diagnostic score and your target score. I think doing PTs & BR is as important as doing the CC. I came to think that the number of PTs doesn't really matter as long as you have strong understanding and strategies to implement your understanding on the test.

Good luck :)

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Yeah piggy backing on the above, there is no recipe or formula to being prepared. If you are an LSAT prodigy you could be scoring in the high 170's without more than a few weeks of prep. You need to figure out how comfortable you are with the test and compare it to what your target score is. If you are already PTing at your target score, then yeah you'll probably be fine. But if you need to overcome a 30 point deficit because you are PTing at 140 and you need a 170, you might be pushing it.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27885 karma

The danger in feeling behind is when you start sacrificing quality studying for quantity. I think it's definitely fine to only drill until you feel comfortable--I'd even recommend it in order to save drills for later--just make sure you're not moving on before you really feel like you understand. If you rush, you're going to lose points, or you're going to lose time because you'll only have to return to it later to do it right anyway.

To reinforce what @akistotle and @Mellow_Z said, it ultimately really does depend on your goals and natural affinity for the test. What's your target score, and what was your diagnostic? I can give you a much better answer to that particular question with that information.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

To echo the above, it really depends. If you're diagnostic was a 158 and you're looking for a 165, I think that is totally different than starting at a 145 and trying to clear a 170 (Which has been done many times by 7Sagers) In any case, no I don't think you are too far behind, but I do think you're already planning on cutting corners. What I mean by that is your statement that you'll maybe only do 1-4 of the problem sets so as to save time. The thing is that might not be a great idea. Those problem sets are there and designed to reinforce what you've learned in the lessons. For main point questions, perhaps 4 is plenty; however, for NA questions I think I needed 20 before I was any good. So plans like these are hard to work out time wise because there are just too many variables.

For instance, I had a plan and a job like you. (Not law firm, but corp hours) I never imagined how long it would take me to get down simple god damn grouping games. In my mind, in my plan, 3-5 days was plenty. Here I am 2 months later and I'm decent, but far from where I need to be for that -0.

So, what is your target goal? Where you starting from? It might very well be possible!