Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to use the LSAT trainer - 7Sage Forum

How to use the LSAT trainer

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

Hi, i just finished the CC and i am currently foolproofing LGs i read so many reviews about the trainer so i bought it. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how they use it in conjunction w 7sage

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Hi @nathanieljschwartz,

Congrats on finishing the CC! I really enjoyed the LSAT Trainer and think it is a great resource.

I would recommend that you focus on foolproofing LG for now, but as soon as you are done with that, I suggest focusing on the LSAT Trainer. Think of it as a continuation/reinforcement of the CC.

The only part of the LSAT Trainer that I did not find helpful was the LG sections. I think J.Y. really nailed how to do LG and everything else kind of pales in comparison. That being said, you might still want to give those sections a read.

Where the LSAT Trainer really shines is in its LR and RC sections. Mike Kim has some incredible insights into the two fundamental flaws/problems with all LR arguments. These insights will likely transform the way you see LR arguments and really help you with your prephrasing.

Mike's RC sections are also really great because they get at the core skill needed to really do well on RC. I find that RC is an often neglected section so it is great to see it getting the attention it deserves from Mike.

Thus, I would recommend reading all of the LR and RC sections of the LSAT Trainer after doing your LG foolproofing. After all of that, take a PT, identify your weaknesses, return to the relevant sections of the CC and Trainer, drill those weaknesses, and repeat. Good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think you can start reading the Trainer whenever; even while you are fool proofing the games. It's great for every section. I feel like those that aren't as advanced along with their LG studies don't fully appreciate it's approach. Yet, it is can be really helpful once you have the basics down. I just don't feel like it might be the best for when you're first learning games, but that's just my opinion and plenty of others have had amazing results just using The Trainer.

Jy's videos are so amazing because seeing games solved in steps, in real time, are just invaluable to the point I don't think any paper book could ever compete. That said, there's still lots to get out of the trainer as far as different techniques. Such as using shapes and such to make complex problems more manageable.

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Agreed. The part that I found extremely helpful in the Trainer was the part about the 4 "themes" of logic game design. Namely: numbers issues, "or" statements, conditional statements, and subsets. Many of the logic games hinge on these four elements. I thought this "tidbit" and many others was very eye-opening. If nothing less it gives you a different perspective on what to look for.

In general, The Trainer gives you the overall themes of the test and what the test writers are testing for. It allowed me to view the test in a different way. As many before me have mentioned the Reading Comprehension section in particular is invaluable but all sections are helpful.

The Trainer also is very abstract, high-level and general which I found was a good supplement to 7sage's down-to-earth, specific, and practical strategies.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    Agreed. The part that I found extremely helpful in the Trainer was the part about the 4 "themes" of logic game design. Namely: numbers issues, "or" statements, conditional statements, and subsets. Many of the logic games hinge on these four elements. I thought this "tidbit" and many others was very eye-opening. If nothing less it gives you a different perspective on what to look for.

In general, The Trainer gives you the overall themes of the test and what the test writers are testing for. It allowed me to view the test in a different way. As many before me have mentioned the Reading Comprehension section in particular is invaluable but all sections are helpful.

The Trainer also is very abstract, high-level and general which I found was a good supplement to 7sage's down-to-earth, specific, and practical strategies.

Well damn said!