[Ended] Admissions Overview—Weds, June 14th @ 9pm EST

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited June 2017 in Webinars 7285 karma

Hi 7Sagers,

On Wednesday, June 14, at 9 p.m. EST, I’ll give you a bird’s-eye view of the admissions process. We’ll touch on almost every component of your application:

• Personal statements
  • Diversity statements
  • Character and fitness addenda
  • Extenuating circumstances addenda
  • “Why school X?” essays
  • Résumés
  • Letters of recommendation

I’ll take questions at the end.

Admissions Overview Webinar
Wed, Jun 14, 2017 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: 
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/913345029

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (571) 317-3122
Access Code: 913-345-029

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: https://care.citrixonline.com/g2m/getready

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely have a question about Personal statements vs. Diversity statements and if I should write both if my Personal Statement sort of seems to accomplish what I'd want in a DS.

See you next week!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Definitely have a question about Personal statements vs. Diversity statements and if I should write both if my Personal Statement sort of seems to accomplish what I'd want in a DS.

See you next week!

Yeah Alex I have a very similar question!

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

Looking forward to it! It'll be weird spending a weekday evening NOT studying for the LSAT...

• richellegernanrichellegernan Alum Member
    18 karma

I'm not available at the time of the webinar. Will this webinar be recorded? If so, will I be able to access the recording of it?

It seems like other folks have similar questions as me regarding Diversity Statements and I think that this will be captured in this webinar but I just want to put my questions out there. Obviously there are many ways to be diverse beyond nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. but I think it still holds that spaces like law school still need to become diverse in these ways. As an immigrant, queer woman of color I don't want to capitalize on my identities but how do recognize my experience in a meaningful way that captures this and also goes beyond this conventional ideas of diversity? I haven't made up my mind yet on what I want to write about in my personal statement but I'm sure my experiences as an immigrant, queer woman of color will be inherently as part of what I write though not necessarily outwardly stated in this way. How could I write a meaningful diversity statement that is independent of my personal statement but is a complement to it.

Other question re: Extenuating circumstances addenda:
    Though I don't necessarily think that my case is an "extenuating circumstance" I feel like this addenda is a great opportunity to address some of the gaps in my transcript. I mostly got A's and B's in undergrad but there are a couple of sprinkles of lower grades and a time where I had to drop a class. Throughout undergrad I had to piece together 2 - 3 jobs (which wasn't unusual around the people I knew) and was part of a lot different orgs which cause me to not prioritize specific classes -- would admitting this make it seem more like a weakness? I could see how I can write it in better light something along the lines of learning how to manage and balance, etc...

Thanks! If you have a chance to address this during the webinar that would be amazing!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Yay! Love David's webinars!

• mykidshave4pawsmykidshave4paws Free Trial Member
    edited June 2017 14 karma

I would love to hear any insight you have for nontraditional applicants (those of us who will be over 30 with significant career experience and haven't been in school for a while). Any tidbits on how the process may differ for us versus the "traditional" applicant pool would be great if you have them!

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma

Darn, I forgot about it. Is a recording of the Webinar available?

• maztan13maztan13 Alum Member
    50 karma

Thank you for doing this. Same question...was this recorded?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma

It was recorded! I'll post here when it goes up.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma
  • maztan13maztan13 Alum Member
    50 karma

Thank you!