Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commitment agreement

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member

Hey guys! I have a question. With my second deposit , UChi is asking me to file a "commitment agreement". I fully intend on attending but I like to know exactly what I am signing. It isn't asking me to withdraw applications but I am sure there is more to it. What would happen if I broke it, if something came up and I wanted to attend to school closer to home?

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Hi @combsni,

I would call UChicago and ask. Usually commitment agreements mean that you agree to withdraw all your other applications. If you do not follow this, you can lose your seat and get in trouble with other law schools.

However, you mentioned that they did not say this. Perhaps, this is just a statement of intent with a more serious name. If that is the case, then there may not be penalties. In any case, UChicago can likely give you a more complete answer than any of us.

Good luck and congratulations on getting accepted to such a great school!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    Hi @combsni,

I would call UChicago and ask. Usually commitment agreements mean that you agree to withdraw all your other applications. If you do not follow this, you can lose your seat and get in trouble with other law schools.

However, you mentioned that they did not say this. Perhaps, this is just a statement of intent with a more serious name. If that is the case, then there may not be penalties. In any case, UChicago can likely give you a more complete answer than any of us.

Good luck and congratulations on getting accepted to such a great school!

This is also my understanding on commitment agreements. But Daniel is correct, if you're unsure, call and ask to be sure.