Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verbal agreement not reflected in written scholarship offer

Hey y'all,

A few details to explain the situation:
My VA benefits will pay for the first two years of law school.
I was offered a 50% scholarship.
For those first two years, the school will be paid full tuition by the VA and the scholarship will not apply until I have exhausted my benefits.
During a phone conversation with the dean of admissions, he told me that he could apply those unused scholarship monies to completely cover my tuition for the third year.
However, when I received the official letter yesterday, there was no mention of reallocating those funds per the phone conversation. Another member of the admissions team told me that practically speaking the school would have to give me a 100% scholarship, which they are not willing to do. She then told me would she have the dean call me, but I have to yet hear from him.
Any thoughts on how I should go about having this conversation with him?

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

It reads to me that the administrator simply doesn't know how to process this less-than-usual scholarship agreement. However, is it possible that you misunderstood the Dean's commitment?

I would suggest sending an email to the Dean directly. Politely recap your conversation with the administrator and let him/her know that you look forward to resolving the matter and attending in the fall.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

If that doesn't work - try not to activate your GI bill until year 2/3 and have it pay the last two years and use the scholarship to pay the first. This could be another work around so you don't lose out on $$$

• Jonathan W SJonathan W S Alum Member
    35 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    It reads to me that the administrator simply doesn't know how to process this less-than-usual scholarship agreement. However, is it possible that you misunderstood the Dean's commitment?

It's absolutely possible that I misunderstood what the dean told me. I do think that he explained it fairly simply, though, and that his message was that through this combination of funds, I wouldn't have to take any loans to pay for my degree.

• Jonathan W SJonathan W S Alum Member
    35 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    If that doesn't work - try not to activate your GI bill until year 2/3 and have it pay the last two years and use the scholarship to pay the first. This could be another work around so you don't lose out on $$$

The nice thing about the scholarship is that it is renewable for all three years. So, to me it makes sense to use the VA money first and if it comes to getting a loan, waiting to do that until the last year.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Jonathan W S" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

The nice thing about the scholarship is that it is renewable for all three years. So, to me it makes sense to use the VA money first and if it comes to getting a loan, waiting to do that until the last year.

Ah yeah that does make more sense, I think it's worth contacting the school and laying this out to them. Obviously don't push them, but say here was my understanding, this is what the dean told me, and this is what it says.