Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has Anyone Ever Transferred to a top tier after....

mrodgers209mrodgers209 Member
in General 114 karma

Hi Sagers!!!

I have a question. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who transferred from a lower ranked law school to a higher ranked law school? If so, was it an easy process? Also, what did they have to have in order to apply for transfer?

Thanks,

~M

Comments

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Hi! I'm not sure about the process, but I do know someone that transferred from Widener University to Georgetown after their first year of law school.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@mrodgers209 said:
    Hi Sagers!!!

I have a question. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who transferred from a lower ranked law school to a higher ranked law school? If so, was it an easy process? Also, what did they have to have in order to apply for transfer?

Thanks,

~M

Yes, of course. There are transfer reports you can look up from all the top schools. I don't know anyone personally, though. The process requires recommendations from law profs, an application/personal statement, and of course, your grades.

From my limited understanding, the process itself is easy. The grades are the hard part. We are talking like ranked #1-5 at a TTT for a shot at T6. Often people let hubris destroy them into thinking they'll just "plan" on transferring by getting "good grades." I have never been to law school, but I know enough smart people who have gone/attending tell me you just can't predict grades the same as UG because of the curve.

Apparently the grading seems somewhat arbitrary. You're also likely surrounded by your actual "intellectual peers" for the first time in your life. That's actually the one thing about law school that makes me wanna get a Phd or an MBA. Maybe I will.... Just because of this reason, seriously, lol. The whole arbitrariness aspect bothers me.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

Also, if you look up a school's ABA 509 report, at the bottom of the report it lists how many and from what schools their transfers came for the previous year. This could be helpful information as you think about 1) where you go for your first year and 2) what types of schools people matriculate from after their 1L into the top tiered law schools.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Hey M, I'm not sure what the process is, but it's definitely not uncommon for top students to transfer up. Schools love taking transfers who've already proved themselves in 1L. 1L is a way better test of your ability to succeed in law school than LSAT, so it's a no brainer for them. How far up one can transfer and what percentile one needs to be in to do it, I'm not sure. But it absolutely happens.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

As others have said, it is definitely not unheard of to transfer to a higher ranked school. The process itself is pretty much the same as it is with regular admissions; however, there seems to be more weight on one's GPA since the LSAT is no longer a factor. Another thing I noticed while looking at the transfer requirements at a few schools is the fact that you need to have a viable reason as to why you would like to transfer. Just something to ponder in case that is the route you are going

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@Freddy_D > @Freddy_D said:

Another thing I noticed while looking at the transfer requirements at a few schools is the fact that you need to have a viable reason as to why you would like to transfer.

Really?? I just looked at schools in my area and one of them had 13 transfers from the same school this year. I wonder what the reasons would have to be? The school is higher ranked than the school the 13 were enrolled. The reason seems obvious to me. What are acceptable reasons other than out of state transfers? In the case mentioned above, the higher ranked school's tuition is lower than the lower ranked school's tuition, so I'm guessing that could be a reason to transfer?

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    As others have said, it is definitely not unheard of to transfer to a higher ranked school. The process itself is pretty much the same as it is with regular admissions; however, there seems to be more weight on one's GPA since the LSAT is no longer a factor. Another thing I noticed while looking at the transfer requirements at a few schools is the fact that you need to have a viable reason as to why you would like to transfer. Just something to ponder in case that is the route you are going

It will be 100% dependent upon GPA. There is nothing you can do that will convince a higher ranked school to take you if you don't have an incredible 1L GPA. A lot of the schools will also require LOR's from your LS professors, so work on building those relationships up as best as you can.

As for a reason to transfer - wanting to go to a higher ranked school is perfectly acceptable. Obviously you'll need to work on the verbiage, but you don't need an overly compelling explanation.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

What about financial aid? I assume there is no prospect of financial aid for the higher ranked school one would transfer to... correct?

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    What about financial aid? I assume there is no prospect of financial aid for the higher ranked school one would transfer to... correct?

It was my understanding that aid period was rare. I'd like to know this, as well, since I know someone that plans to try for transferring.

• mrodgers209mrodgers209 Member
    114 karma

WOW! Thanks guys for all of the helpful responses!!! I will take all the information you have given in consideration! Glad to have this awesome community!!!

Thanks So Much

~M