Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If and only if

hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
edited June 2017 in General 342 karma

Hi all!

While I was studying, I encountered "<-/->" sign, and started to wonder if it is interchangeable with "⇔/" .
Since "⇔/" is a negation of "if and only if", can we also use "<-/->" for its negation?
For example, Alan goes to the park everyday, except the days on which Chris goes to the park: /A⇔C = A<-/->C ????????
If we have A⇔/B = /A⇔B, then
A,/B (O)
/A,B (O)
A,B (X)
/A,/B (X)
If we have A<-/->B, then
A,/B (O)
/A,B (O)
A,B (X)
/A,/B (?! I assume X?)
What's the definition of A<-/->B? Either A or B is in, but not both? I mean it has to be an exclusive or in order to satisfy the reasoning...
Someone please help! Thank you!
Quick summary: <-/-> same as ⇔/???

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited June 2017 9377 karma

@d931n027h said:
    While I was studying, I encountered "<-/->" sign, and started to wonder if it is interchangeable with "⇔/" .

I don't think 7Sage uses this sign, but by "<-/->," do you mean "The Double-Not arrow" used by PowerScore?

I believe they simply use it to indicate "Not both rule".

A --> /B

They say that "A <--|--> B" only excludes the situation that "A and B both occurs."

They use "A <--|--> B" for "No As are Bs" and I think it is really confusing. I think we should stick to "Not both rule" (A --> /B).

Be careful not to confuse "A --> /B" with "A <--> /B". They are not the same.

A <--> /B (Or, but not both)
    https://7sage.com/lesson/or-but-not-both/

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@akistotle Got it!!!! Thank you always <3

• fmihalic2fmihalic2 Free Trial Member
    266 karma

They hate each other. If I see Alan, no Chris. If I see Chris, Alan stayed home to watch Netflix.