Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should a white guy ever write a DS?

I am the LawI am the Law Member
edited June 2017 in Law School Admissions 17 karma

I understand the diversity course gives socioeconomic + early respond ability which I have both. However, I am a white, straight male and have been told by pretty much everyone that I am not diverse and would have nothing to in that department. TLS for instance is universally negative, and to be honest most adcomms have given lukewarm responses at best. Is it better if I don't do it even if I think it would add to the diversity, or is it really just race/sexuality?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

What are some potential topics you could use? I myself am a straight, white male, but am also a first-generation college graduate. My topic was on that.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I agree with @danielznelson. We can't comment on a diversity statement when we don't know what diversity topic you'll use.

• I am the LawI am the Law Member
    edited June 2017 17 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    I agree with @danielznelson. We can't comment on a diversity statement when we don't know what diversity topic you'll use.

It would be on childhood poverty and taking care of someone who is mentally ill from that age.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I would say that you could definitely write one about that topic. Although I'm black, my DS is gonna be about the same thing.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Yeah, that sounds like a great topic for a diversity statement. I have read some great DS's on poverty. You really want to highlight your unique experiences, what insights you have gained from those experiences, and how that will make you a great contribution to the class and add to its diversity. In other words, it is not just about having a topic that fits a DS, but more about having a great story to tell about that topic.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Of course you can. Being black isn't the only way to be diverse lmao.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

A lot of people confuse diversity to mean only race/sex ... people are diverse in many other ways ... socioeconomically, by viewpoint, by their childhood, by their background.... if you sit on some school forums, they will confirm this as well. Sounds like you have an interesting story. I would go for it!

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

This is a quote from an admissions officer at Boston College Law School says when he's reviewing DS : I don't define diversity for you, you write about your diverse experience." Short to say is you get to write about what you think is distinct/unique about yourself. The officers do not limit you. You can only limit yourself. So, as a human being you have something that shaped your perception of life that others do not. Write about whatever that is and you will be fine (assuming you have proofread and edited).

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

: I don't define diversity for you, you write about your diverse experience." Short to say is you get to write about what you think is distinct/unique about yourself. The officers do not limit you. You can only limit yourself.

I really like that. At the end of the day, the question is "Do you have a story to tell?". The application is one big story and DS is part of that.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

I'm from Winterfell but I'm still considering writing a DS...think my bastard upbringing under a lord would be an important story to tell. People called me "Lord Snow." I've always hated that nickname.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I'm a white dude and I wrote a DS about being a white dude who is socially/politically progressive in the Deep South. I was nervous about it too. It feels like something that is meant for others who have not enjoyed our wide ranging privileges. It's awkward to benefit from something that feels like that, but that just isn't all that diversity means. Is there something about your background that makes you view the world in a unique way? Is there something about your experience that provides you with particular insights that others don't have access to? That's diversity.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7287 karma

Hi there,

Childhood poverty and taking care of someone with a mental illness would be great topics for a diversity statement. Indeed, it's hard to imagine those experiences didn't affect your worldview in a profound way.

• Farabian-PlatonistFarabian-Platonist Alum Member
    54 karma

Though I am partially European, Native American, and Jewish, I consider myself a straight, white male. I can't justify submitting a tome of genealogy before the admissions committee thinking they will inspect it. So, I will opt for writing about being a first-generation college graduate and living in the Middle East, both as a government tool and as a student of Arabic.

• lawschoolnublawschoolnub Member
    7 karma

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a cis-gen white male but I'm also considered a "non-traditional student as I'm applying to law school at the age of 32. I feel as though I have a diverse story to tell and plan on doing so.

• dan_reynoldsdan_reynolds Free Trial Member
    127 karma

I'm a white middle aged male. I am disabled, so we do have diversity, you don't have to create one, you probably have something that makes you attractive and unique... find it and use it.

• dan_reynoldsdan_reynolds Free Trial Member
    127 karma

I am 51 years old... it's never too late.

• johninsaskjohninsask Free Trial Member
    15 karma

@"I am the Law" said:

@kimmy_m66 said:

It would be on childhood poverty and taking care of someone who is mentally ill from that age.

I would be really careful about doing this. What I worry about is that they'll read your statement and miss the point you're making about how you'd add to the diversity of the student body. On the other hand, if you can flesh that theme out a bit, it might really help.
    Otherwise, if I can be frank, I wouldn't make a diversity statement.

• DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member
    edited July 2017 279 karma

Is a URM statement and Diversity statement - same thing? Should I write a URM statement if a military veteran? Same thing for Diversity statement? Am I considered URM as a military veteran?

• jonkhan094jonkhan094 Free Trial Member
    22 karma

I'm assuming the personal statement and diversity statement are separate? Or the same?
    I'm a white European/middle eastern background. My mom being Italian and my father from Afghanistan, I want to write about growing up and experiencing the culture of both sides and how polar opposite they are etc .. especially about the transition into an islamaphobic society

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

diversity isn't only limited to skin color and sexual orientation.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I'm white and I plan to write a diversity statement about my childhood experience with poverty.

22 karma

A diversity statement is different than the actual personal statement? Or are they two of the same lol, might be a stupid question

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@jonkhan094 said:
    A diversity statement is different than the actual personal statement? Or are they two of the same lol, might be a stupid question

Different.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@jonkhan094 no stupid questions! They are different.

Here is how @danielznelson explained a diversity statement

"Diversity statements are usually about a quality you have that is underrepresented at law school and will thus add to the diversity of the student body. Examples, include ethnic minority, low income, non-traditional student (older or homeschooled), and other unique traits that are underrepresented."

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @jonkhan094 no stupid questions! They are different.

Here is how @danielznelson explained a diversity statement

"Diversity statements are usually about a quality you have that is underrepresented at law school and will thus add to the diversity of the student body. Examples, include ethnic minority, low income, non-traditional student (older or homeschooled), and other unique traits that are underrepresented."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

22 karma

How would I include that in my application? Send it in addition to the personal statement? Where would I be able to upload or share that in addition to my personal statement?