Nepotism

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
in General 652 karma

So I'm going to UCHI this fall and I just had an interesting conversation with an old friend who is going to the University of Toledo Law and they were bragging about how they have average grades and have a job with Butzel Long. Obviously this is part of law but how big is this?

Comments

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited June 2017 609 karma

worldwide, all fields and sectors, and for thousands of years.
    Father Son president, Father Son Prime Minister (Canada).

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2017 13286 karma

@combsni said:
    So I'm going to UCHI this fall and I just had an interesting conversation with an old friend who is going to the University of Toledo Law and they were bragging about how they have average grades and have a job with Butzel Long. Obviously this is part of law but how big is this?

I mean, being a janitor is a job. Who cares about the janitors at Butzel Long? Do they have anything else to substantiate this bragging?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@combsni said:

I mean, unless he explicitly stated it was due to nepotism, there could be other reasons for the job. Networking and being a great interviewer as well as prior WE can go a long way. You never really know how or why people get these jobs. One of my friends attended a T3 with below median grades, but she networked like crazy into a pretty decent mid sized firm.

Nepotism definitely happens. I'm not sure how often or how big it is, but I don't think it's all that common. Still, who you know can go a long way when finding a job. Especially when it comes to lateraling to different firms/positions once your career is established.

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma

@LSATcantwin Yeah he does

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@combsni said:

Well, damn. I was trying to attack it sort of like an LR problem. You ASSUME! It didn't work.

Hey, but don't let it stand in your way. Great for him for having that awesome job. You can do awesome too. Bragging is not flattering, but it also doesn't say anything about what you can and can't do!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@combsni said:

Well, damn. I was trying to attack it sort of like an LR problem. You ASSUME! It didn't work.

Hey, but don't let it stand in your way. Great for him for having that awesome job. You can do awesome too. Bragging is not flattering, but it also doesn't say anything about what you can and can't do!!

Love this attitude! :innocent:

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma

@"Alex Divine" @LSATcantwin I just feel like I have done everything by the book and the right way. There's a chance that we start off in similar places and that's eye opening. Of course, I am happy for my friend (even if it doesn't seem like it".

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@combsni said:
    @"Alex Divine" @LSATcantwin I just feel like I have done everything by the book and the right way. There's a chance that we start off in similar places and that's eye opening. Of course, I am happy for my friend (even if it doesn't seem like it".

Yeah, man. I feel you... Some people are just going to have it easier in life and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't really blame the people who have connections to help them either. The good news is that when you do things without help you tend to build more skills and become more competent. And while your friend may have an easier time getting in the door, it doesn't mean the nepotism will save his butt if he can't produce.

Congrats again on Chi. I think it's safe to say if you work hard you'll end up with wonderful opportunities. :)