d576llerg123d576llerg123 Alum Member
edited November 2019 in General 17 karma

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

You should mention what schools you want to apply to (more specific than T14). You should also mention your softs.

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

That's very impressive! Which prep test have you taken so far?(e.g., pt 52-71) If it were more earlier ones(pre-70), I'm positive that there is a lot of rooms for improvement.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited July 2017 2301 karma

Congratulations on the awesome June score and improvement! While no one knows for sure, it is generally believed that most schools just take your top score. The exception being Yale and maybe Stanford.

I have seen people who score in the high 170s on their third take (after takes in the 160s) get accepted to Harvard, Colubmia, and Chicago.

Thus, I see little harm in retaking if you want to go to a top 6 school. As it stands, your chances at the top 6 is small unless you are a URM. Graduating from a top undergrad school is only a small boost. 168 and 3.75+ places you in the lower to middle T14. Thus, if you want H or CCN, I would say retake.

I think some solid BR on more practice tests (most people recommend 20 PTs, sounds like you did only about 10) could really improve your score on the real thing. While it is true that improving your score takes longer the higher it is, every point really matters where you are at. 5 points is the difference between the bottom of the T14 and the top. Good luck!

• d576llerg123d576llerg123 Alum Member
    17 karma

@"Kings Never Die" thanks! Most of them were between 35 and 65. I took only one that was post 65 (I think it was like 66 or something).

@USER123456 My top choices are Penn, Columbia, and NYU. I'm also interested in Georgetown and potentially Cornell...though it is very isolated.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think you still have the potential and will power to score higher. I would absolutely retake. You're not only leaving points on the table, but opportunities, your career, and what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarship money.

You seem to know what you did wrong the last time, this time do it right and I bet you can hit 170+ no problem! :)

17 karma

@Daniel.Sieradzki You're right-I think so too (to everything you said). Some people say things like "trust me I know an admissions officer and a 3rd score is bad," so anecdotes are helpful! I would be more than happy with some of the lower-middle T14, but wasn't sure if a 3rd score would also hurt my chances for those schools. Thank you for the advice.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@gtygongju427 said:
    @"Kings Never Die" thanks! Most of them were between 35 and 65. I took only one that was post 65 (I think it was like 66 or something).

@USER123456 My top choices are Penn, Columbia, and NYU. I'm also interested in Georgetown and potentially Cornell...though it is very isolated.

Throwing your raw numbers into a calculator, you're already in a good position to be accepted into some of those schools.

It doesn't sound like you studied that intensely the first two times, so I think you could raise your score.

If you want to try for it worst case you lose some time. I would not wait another cycle for a scholarship or potentially higher ranked school. I'd rather have some debt than delay getting to work a year.

• dan_reynoldsdan_reynolds Free Trial Member
    127 karma

go with the 168 and hire a recruiter who you can get references for to help you get into any college you want... If you got a killer GPA, you can get into almost anywhere, definitely T14

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

This is a bit off topic but I gotta ask - but first off, CONGRATS! Regardless of what you decide to do that sort of point jump is amazing!

I was wondering what you did differently between the two tests? I too studied with Powerscore which I feel made me a big competitor in games, but left me lacking in RC and LR. Any tips? Advice? Retaker-to-retaker?

Congrats again!

17 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thank you! Though we are all strangers, any encouragement really helps. And you're right. I never want to think "what if?".

@dan_reynolds My GPA was good, but not killer (i.e. 3.9+). I never thought about hiring a recruiter. I'll look into it-thanks!

@vtm14 Thank you :) The most obvious difference is that I took more timed practice tests and used the blind review method. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to discuss more.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dan_reynolds said:
    go with the 168 and hire a recruiter who you can get references for to help you get into any college you want... If you got a killer GPA, you can get into almost anywhere, definitely T14

Even with a killer GPA, a 168, while an excellent LSAT, will not get you into any school you want. Even with the help of "recruiters."

The bigger issue arguably would be the crushing debt. Say, for example, OP gets into NYU or Cornel at sticker and graduates with 250k in debt. That's just insane! It makes much more sense to retake, study the right way, and not leave points in the table.

@gtygongju427 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thank you! Though we are all strangers, any encouragement really helps. And you're right. I never want to think "what if?".

No problem!
    You have a killer GPA 3.9 is pretty much good for any school you want. With a 170+ you could be looking at free rides from lower T13s and great scholarships and opportunities from HYS/CCN

I believe in you!