Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking on the LSAT for a 3rd time! Advice needed!

Charlie802Charlie802 Member
in General 7 karma

Hi all!

I just found this forum thanks to TLS forums. After much consideration and my 2016-2017 application cycle not turning out how I wanted, I have officially decided on a third retake. Previous scores: 150 (very little self-study) and 155 (Testmasters online course -didn't have time to finish and a tragic family death a week before my test date). My goal is to get into the 170's with the realistic reservation that high 160's would be great as well. With the extenuating circumstances around my previous test date and the way my cycle went, I felt I would be selling myself short without another retake.

In terms of my current study plan, I have been going back and forth on signing up for another course. While I did improve 5 points with Testmasters, I am not signing up for them again. I have been looking into 7sage (obviously) and into Blueprint. I also just purchased the LSAT Trainer and the 10 Actual Practice Tests 62-71 I already have. (I may still have the power score bibles as well, have to check...)

Overall, I am looking for guidance on if ANOTHER course is something everyone thinks is worth it? I just quit my job, so I can devote myself to full-time study, I am looking at a Sept/Oct test date and to re-apply this fall. Presently, my plan is to work through the LSAT Trainer and supplement with the free videos on 7sage... any guidance is appreciated.

Thoughts, ideas, am I missing something?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I and many other top scorers will recommend you get 7Sage. It is by far the most affordable and the best LSAT prep on the market, it has nearly perfect ratings across the internet and a wonderful reputation. JY's teaching style and the way the curriculum is set up makes learning the test so much more intuitive then many of the other courses out there. The Ultimate + package also includes literally everything you'll need to score well. Edocs of every PT, drill bundles, problem sets, video explanations and a 4000+ question bank that you can sort by type/difficulty and test number.

Don't burn through the newer tests until you have gone through a good number of the older tests and mastered the fundamentals on those.

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

I reached my goal and then some using 7sage. Amazing course but im not sure you need to buy the ultimate. I bought the starter and every preptest I could buy online. After getting through the cc on 7sage I took my preptests and used lsathacks.com for free explanations on my preptests and using 7sage for free logic games explanations. It worked for me at a fraction of the cost. Main advice is to take as many PTs as you can and follow 7sages blind review process

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"c.veneski" said:
    I reached my goal and then some using 7sage. Amazing course but im not sure you need to buy the ultimate. I bought the starter and every preptest I could buy online. After getting through the cc on 7sage I took my preptests and used lsathacks.com for free explanations on my preptests and using 7sage for free logic games explanations. It worked for me at a fraction of the cost. Main advice is to take as many PTs as you can and follow 7sages blind review process

Definitely don't need to go all out if you have access to the prep tests, but it is nice to be able to print them as many times as you want for clean copy blind review and such. Plus the bundles and question bank make it such a steal!

That said, the CC is essentially the same (minus the harder problem sets)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited July 2017 104 karma
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Charlie802Charlie802 Member
    7 karma

Thank you for all of the advice! I am definitely looking into 7sage. I am thinking I will do the lower package and supplement with the Preptest books and the Trainer.

Timeline wise, is it too ambitious to say Sept test date? As mentioned earlier, I am not working so I can definitely devote a lot of time to all of this, but not sure if 10 weeks is enough time?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ambitious said:
    Thank you for all of the advice! I am definitely looking into 7sage. I am thinking I will do the lower package and supplement with the Preptest books and the Trainer.

Timeline wise, is it too ambitious to say Sept test date? As mentioned earlier, I am not working so I can definitely devote a lot of time to all of this, but not sure if 10 weeks is enough time?

It's not that it's too ambitious, but it is quite arbitrary. Who knows what or how much work you'll need to hit your target score. Focus on a score and forget dates. I don't honesty think 10 weeks will be enough to see the improvement you want or reach you potential. Keep working until you're consistently hitting where you want to be, then sign up for a test date.

• Crosby87Crosby87 Alum Member
    121 karma

@"I.S.S_OVO" said:
    I highly recommend purchasing the 7sage curriculum and the trainer as your ultimate combo. Buy every preptest out there. Go through every test, some you will retake a few times. Listen in on the free webinars 7sage has. I went from a 155 to 172, so you definitely can as well. Good luck!

Hey, that's amazing! How long did it take you to reach 172?

• Charlie802Charlie802 Member
    7 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ambitious said:

It's not that it's too ambitious, but it is quite arbitrary. Who knows what or how much work you'll need to hit your target score. Focus on a score and forget dates. I don't honesty think 10 weeks will be enough to see the improvement you want or reach you potential. Keep working until you're consistently hitting where you want to be, then sign up for a test date.

Thank you! I am just going to dive in and see how I am feeling by the registration deadline for the Sept. test! Don't want to rush it this time around...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cnhaines1 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ambitious said:

Thank you! I am just going to dive in and see how I am feeling by the registration deadline for the Sept. test! Don't want to rush it this time around...

Best mindset to have when approaching this test :) Good luck!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited July 2017 104 karma
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blahBlaHblahBlaH Alum Member
    8 karma

I definitely recommend starting the 7sage course asap if you want to take this winter. I took a Princeton review course (don't ask why) last year and I was seriously disappointed with my pts. I ended up not taking the test and was studying sporadically last year. This January though, I had an epiphany and decided to buckle down and seriously study for the exam. It took a couple weeks for me to decide on 7sage and that is my biggest regret. I started studying mid-Feb/late-Feb and sat for the June test. I unfortunately only had six weeks of full time studying after I quit my job, but I scored almost 10 points higher than my best score during that stupid $1300 course (still bitter). Honestly, if you are willing to put in the time and effort you will def gain a lot.