Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The continuing saga of 7Sager pencil preferences

13»

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Man, @"Alex Divine" , you're like a pencil sommelier. Teach me your ways, sensei.

Lmao! Freddy, my friend got me into nice pens freshman year of college. We had a weekly ritual of stopping into this big Staples near my college campus. It eventually transferred over to pencils with this test. One awesome thing about pencils is how cheap they are compared to pens. So I've tried almost everything I could find in Staples or on Amazon. At least within reason...

If you want to know the ways of the pencil, you have to first have no life, lol. Clearly I don't get out much :)

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    There is only one perfect pencil for the LSAT and it is literally called "Perfect Pencil." https://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-118563S

It is only takes $260 to get your hands on some of these pencils (i.e. just one). While this might seem steep, it is nothing compared to the full-ride scholarship you will earn with one of these babies! Gaze upon its glory!

https://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/450x450_fitPad/GV03931~Graf-von-Faber-Castell-Perfect-Pencils_DTL1_P3.jpg

Now that I look at it closer, it may not actually conform to LSAC regulations. :disappointed:

This is too nice. I'd almost feel guilty using it! At least with my nice pens the refills are all a under $10-15 bucks.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

I took your guys advice on the Wopex, great pencil, doesn't dull out easy and wrote consistently darker. But, the type of paper that we use for the LSAT really sux for pencils. I still feel that it was sort of slippery and not as dark on the paper. But this was true of any pencil I've used. I suggest you take many so you're consistently using a sharp pencil.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@Kewlaidd said:
    I took your guys advice on the Wopex, great pencil, doesn't dull out easy and wrote consistently darker. But, the type of paper that we use for the LSAT really sux for pencils. I still feel that it was sort of slippery and not as dark on the paper. But this was true of any pencil I've used. I suggest you take many so you're consistently using a sharp pencil.

Yeah, the wopex is definitely more slippery as far as the lead goes. I'm happy to hear you tried it though! They seem to write forever... I just got so tired of sharpening that darn Norica. I miss my noricas now... Might have to use them for a PT just so they don't feel too missed lol :)

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    edited June 2017 330 karma

This thread has corrupted me. I lost the battle with temptation, and purchased at least one of nearly every pencil in this thread...

Would anyone be interested in seeing my test pictures/reviews for each?

At this point, I've used each pencil on at least one full section of Logic Games. Here's the exhaustive list:

Palomino Blackwing
    Palomino Blackwing 602
    Palomino Blackwing Pearl*
    Palomino Golden Bear Blue
    Palomino Golden Bear Orange Jumbo #2
    Palomino Forest Choice #2*

Staedtler Norica
    Staedtler Wopex

Mitsubishi 9850 HB*
    Mitsubishi Hi Uni HB*

Dixon Ticonderoga
    Dixon Ticonderoga Black
    Dixon Tri-Conderoga
    My First Ticonderoga

Caran d'Ache Grafwood H
    Faber Castell 9000 B*
    General's Cedar Pointe #333 - 2HB
    Musgrave Pencil Co. Test Scoring 100*

I went ahead and put stars next to the models that performed best. Each had strengths and weaknesses, though the Mitsubishi Hi Uni HB and Mitsubishi 9850 HB stood out as first and second place finishers respectively.

No matter how well a pencil performed, I found the need to sharpen multiple times per section. All of the pencils chipped or broke at some point: some in ways that unremarkably altered performance, others hindering progress to the extent of chunks of lead flying out. I recommend avoiding this variance altogether by having at least six sharpened pencils prepared for each Logic Games section. Drawing some light squiggles before using the pencils in action can drastically lower the chances of breakage.

As mentioned earlier, I'm happy to give comprehensive reviews of each model or certain individuals if there is any significant interest. I'd like to review a few more models down the road (particularly Towbow pencils) so let me know if you have any particular requests. Enjoy your procrastination!

330 karma

As a minor update, I've tested a bunch of erasers as well! Far and away, the best erasers I tested were the Sakura Foam Arch, and the Uni Boxy. These imported models erase quickly and cleanly, even on LSAT-style "tissue paper."

I recommend bringing one of these to the test even if you're pursuing a no-erasing strategy; there's always a chance you mess up a LG diagram and want to start fresh. These erasers will make starting blank a breeze. I also tried cutting my erasers into rectangles that fit into the Blackwing ferrules so I can use them without putting down my pencil.

https://www.amazon.com/Sakura-Evolutional-Erasers-5-Pack-White/dp/B0174KSUVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499443427&sr=8-2&keywords=sakura+foam

Here's a link to the Sakura Foam Arch erasers. This pack that Amazon carries contains rather small erasers, so consider getting the larger varieties from JetPens if you intend to use these on the exam.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Nice Review! I've been having some good luck with the Staedtler brand erasers, which are moderatly priced, large and work great on thin paper, moderately no ghosting, Might have to check these babies out though, lol.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'm tortured ..... I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't think at work....

Do I use my first love the Norica? The smooth and sexy, dark writing, pencil of perfection? Or do I use the flashy, heavier, (I like to spin them) better erasing, much longer lasting Wopex? I can't live like this.... :(

330 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I'm tortured ..... I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't think at work....

Do I use my first love the Norica? The smooth and sexy, dark writing, pencil of perfection? Or do I use the flashy, heavier, (I like to spin them) better erasing, much longer lasting Wopex? I can't live like this.... :(

Use the Wopex for LR and RC, and save a 12 pack of sharp Noricas for LG!

I sometimes go through a 12 pack of 602s in LG because of how often I swap them out!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Decisions, decision. I feel so stupid and aspy spending this much time thinking about pencils. Chances are, most people who do well on this test, just use freaking Ticons.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

UGH. In a most embarrassing move, i have been misusing my palomino sharpener since the day i got it. never read the instructions for hole #1 vs hole #2 (bring on the puns). i've totally worn down the blade and have bought a new sharpener.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@LSATcantwin HAHA! yup

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    UGH. In a most embarrassing move, i have been misusing my palomino sharpener since the day i got it. never read the instructions for hole #1 vs hole #2 (bring on the puns). i've totally worn down the blade and have bought a new sharpener.

Hahaha! Well at least it gave you an excuse to buy a new sharpener ;)

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    edited August 2017 2983 karma

Thanks for the insight! I have my palomino coming in the mail. Gotta be mindful of the holes :smirk:

• AmateurProphetAmateurProphet Alum Member
    edited August 2017 183 karma

@"Alex Divine"
    Ordered some wopex pencils to use on my PT tomorrow... thanks for the rec!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AmateurProphet said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    Ordered some wopex pencils to use on my PT tomorrow... thanks for the rec!

Of course! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have :wink: