Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep track of BR?

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in General 544 karma

Hey everyone,

I am just beginning the PT phase of my prep and was wondering if you would share your best practices for BR'ing full PT's. I've heard various methods such as just jotting down on a clean copy why the answers are wrong and why the right is answer is right. I've also heard of people (shoutout to @"Accounts Playable" webinar) having a full word document to further keep track of their BR. For those of you who recommend that, do you type out the full question before delving into the analysis? What's your formatting?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27871 karma

This is a really great question. So first of all, rewatch the BR section of the CC and make sure you're following those methods exactly.

After every test, I use a clean copy and transfer over all my circles so that I know which questions to review. For RC/LG, I basically just rework any passage/game I had any circled question on, untimed. For LR, I'll fill out a kind of template. I use pencil and paper instead of a word document, but the concept is essentially the same.

PT/Section/Question
    Question Type

Logical and grammatical breakdown of stimulus

A. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    B. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    C. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    D. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    E. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.

I do this very meticulously and in as much detail as possible. Sometimes a single question will take up an entire page or more.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited July 2017 610 karma

Having just completed the CC and having all PTS i am preparing for February maybe December if i notice improvements. I recently just did a diagnostic just to get a feel for the test. I did not do well in LR at all i left questions remaining.

That being said what i think i am going to do is practice sections of LR from 1-20 to start me up.
    First i do a PT LR section trying to learn skipping and training my brain to be used to the time. Leave the score hidden when i am done. i do take note of the ones i circled, but i basically BR the whole section. If i come across answers i thought i got right but got wrong i highlight them and prepare to add them to another document of say "difficult questions"

it is simply a table with two columns with the question on the left and my explanations on the right. Most times after about 5 reviewed questions i'll peak the answer to see if i was right. Once i know i was right or wrong i go review other explanations from other sites.

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewforum.php?f=11
    https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forums/logical-reasoning-f4.html
    I also have Kaplan explanations.
    when i get to higher PTS there is also LSAThacks.com

Specifically, if it was questions i had trouble with i copy the replies from these sites into my document under or around my question, after i fully understand why i was wrong. I like getting multiple explanations just to reinforce reasoning. But remember you should be making your own before you peak others' explanations.

I do not believe that i will do this process--reviewing every "question"--all the time. I just think because i am early in the prep and done with the "learning the test part" It is time to get used to 1) the timing of the test, which is why I do a section timed"; then BR the whole thing. 2) the BR process helps me begin to see patterns of the questions. For instance i am also putting specific cookie cutter logic questions into another document. Also, questions with logic within them i also force myself to make the symbols to identify the logic structure.

Normally each question is one page.

I might not even full proof yet, i have read people who fool proof then ease off may lose that edge, so i am of the thinking that i should increase my LR skill before doing any of other two. Also, this process is good because 7sage does not have the explanations from 1-16 so making my own will fine for now.

My target is to be possibly full-reviewed and rehearsed with LR question types and experience using PTS 1-35 by September or Oct.

In the meantime i am tracking my progress for BR and timed section for comparisons and taking note of completions with timed.

Update: I also pay heavy attention to grammar, referential phrasing, invalid/valid logic.

So many testimonials i have seen is that this phase after learning the test is to just jump in and start learning the test itself. Using everything you learned. For instance today i was going over weaken wrong answers today and i just rewatched 7sage videos and also cross compared to other Curriculum course material i have.

I might change gears and go to single question type drilling but i want to see how i am doing. for Sections.

i stole this guys word document for questions, he typed out questions as well

https://nathanwailes.atlassian.net/wiki/display/MTOVT/How+I+Got+a+Perfect+Score+on+the+LSAT

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    This is a really great question. So first of all, rewatch the BR section of the CC and make sure you're following those methods exactly.

After every test, I use a clean copy and transfer over all my circles so that I know which questions to review. For RC/LG, I basically just rework any passage/game I had any circled question on, untimed. For LR, I'll fill out a kind of template. I use pencil and paper instead of a word document, but the concept is essentially the same.

PT/Section/Question
    Question Type

Logical and grammatical breakdown of stimulus

A. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    B. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    C. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    D. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.
    E. Right/Wrong. Explanation of why it's right/wrong.

I do this very meticulously and in as much detail as possible. Sometimes a single question will take up an entire page or more.

Thanks so much! I usually did each of the answer choices but I never did the stimulus breakdown. I think this really forces me to focus in on what each word of the stimulus means. Much appreciated!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@jackigoe said:
    Hey everyone,

I am just beginning the PT phase of my prep and was wondering if you would share your best practices for BR'ing full PT's. I've heard various methods such as just jotting down on a clean copy why the answers are wrong and why the right is answer is right. I've also heard of people (shoutout to @"Accounts Playable" webinar) having a full word document to further keep track of their BR. For those of you who recommend that, do you type out the full question before delving into the analysis? What's your formatting?

Thanks in advance!

I did exactly what @"Accounts Playable" did. I even was able to download his templates which I use for RC/LR. I also use his Excel document for keeping track of fool proofing logic games.

It works well, it is easy to have it all stored on my laptop, and that's that. I keep it pretty simple.

Type out the full question, no. I summarize it though and make sure I can explain it in my own words.

If you PM me your email I can send you the template.

Thanks again @"Accounts Playable" :)