Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hills and Valleys: Potential Causes of Varied PT Scores

mmowrermmowrer Free Trial Member
in General 25 karma

Hey 7Sagers!

I saw a couple posts that were similar to this topic, but those threads were mainly very old or distinct in their question. As such, I wanted to pose a question that I'm sure many in the community are facing during PTs.

What are some of the potential causes that would result in varied PT scores?

I'm sure everyone is experiencing different results, but in my case, I'm talking about 8 PT scores that create two very distinct averages. For me, half my PTs suggest I'm currently performing at ~163 and the other half consistently have me at a ~157. To clarify, these scores were intermingled, meaning it's not a steady increase from 157 to a 163, but rather spikes and drops going between the two. Furthermore, I've thoroughly reviewed both the question types and sections for each test and there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the points I've missed.

But back to my larger question, if our studying methods haven't changed, what fundamental errors could cause those preparing for the LSAT to have an inconsistent score and how can we address these?

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Variation is simply going to happen. I think it's an admirable goal to strive for consistency, but it's unavoidable to have some variation.

Before I give some reasons, I think with a score between 157-163, your best approach is to improve on the fundamentals of the test. That will bring your scores up no matter the variation. You have plenty of potential to improve.

As for what causes variation, there are many factors. Certain tests play to your strengths, a good night's sleep, better focus for some reason (nutrition? stress? mindset?), making sure you don't get bogged down by a particular question, the list goes on.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think a 5 point variation one way or the other is pretty normal.

Sometimes we just take PTs and they have more questions that play to our strengths rather than our weaknesses. For example, one of the last PT I took had 3 sequencing games and 1 easy grouping game. I am much, much faster with sequencing games, so that lead to me scoring much better on LG that day. I've also had days where on RC I get passages about stuff I am mildly familiar with and I find that this gives me a pretty big advantage! Oddly enough just knowing about what's being talked about in an obscure science passage can truly make all the difference.

I agree with AllezAleez21 that focusing on fundamentals is the way to go if you're between a 157-163. Fool proof games, drill LR questions, return to whatever lessons/books you prefer, and do what you need to do.

Also, a big thing for me with LR was learning to implement a skipping strategy. I was pretty consistently missing -5 on each LR section until I began skipping. Almost overnight that went down to a -3 when I skipped questions and then was able to spend more time going back at the end on those hard questions.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@mmowrer what do your BR scores look like? Are they consistent? If your not working on getting you BR to at least 3-5 points above what your target score is, i think you should redirect ur efforts there. After you have done that you should work on closing the gap.
    Just taking tests and averaging them will not be as beneficial bc some tests play on some of your skills,i.e. higher score, while some dont, i.e. lower range. If your fundamentals are rock solid you shouldnt see so much slippage
    Good luck, and study hard

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma

I don't think that's a huge discrepancy, but there are a lot of things I've noticed affecting my scores. My LSAT skills are pretty set, but sometimes my brain is ready to put those skills to work with more or less effectiveness. Whenever my sleep, diet, and exercising is off from a healthy norm, I always seem to underperform. I've noticed this with countless students as well, so it's definitely not just me.

As far as consistency in the points you're missing, you'll need to dig deeper than question type. There's a lot of things that are universal to all the question types that are likely your real issues. These are mostly language based things rather than logic. Things like the old switcheroo where they subtly slip in a new term that is slightly different from what they've been talking about are really easy traps for them to work in. It's not logic, it's just a matter of using the right words, but it's surprisingly effective. Always ask yourself why you struggled to understand a question, and always answer it with something more involved than just the question type.

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    175 karma

@"Alex Divine" What is a good LR skipping strategy you would recommend? I currently do not have one, but I would like to implement one

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JDtobeeee said:
    @"Alex Divine" What is a good LR skipping strategy you would recommend? I currently do not have one, but I would like to implement one

I skip any and all that I read and still can't understand, or Q's that take me longer than a minute to answer. I skip about 3-4 per LR section this way. But YMMV and that's perfectly fine.

I highly recommend checking out this webinar of JY and other sages talking about their personal skipping advice: https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

there may be a PT that plays more to your weaknesses, thus lowering your score. or maybe even the environment you're in can impact you. also, your mental state plays a huge role in how you do on a PT.

• mmowrermmowrer Free Trial Member
    25 karma

@"Alex Divine" , just wanted to follow up and let you know that I tried the skipping strategy you suggested with the slight modification that I skipped any question that gave me that "oh hell no" reaction in LR and not only did I get a personal best, but it was a statistically significant score increase than my previous best! Thanks man!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mmowrer said:
    @"Alex Divine" , just wanted to follow up and let you know that I tried the skipping strategy you suggested with the slight modification that I skipped any question that gave me that "oh hell no" reaction in LR and not only did I get a personal best, but it was a statistically significant score increase than my previous best! Thanks man!

Of course! Very happy to hear that. Keep it up and with some practice your scores will get even better. :sunglasses: