Any other classical liberals/conservatives/libertarians?

SethDCorleySethDCorley Alum Member

I here we're gonna be the oddballs in Law Schools, and some people won't be so nice. I personally can grab a beer with anyone (guess it's just a laid back West Coast/CA thing), but I just wanna know I'm not gonna be all alone out there :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

I think out of these options I more or less identify as libertarian above anything else. I don't refer to myself as one, but most of my friends are libertarians and I was president of my Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) charter in undergrad. So I definitely have some background with YAL, politically, and being the oddball.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

I think you may actually find other classical liberals/libertarians/conservatives in law school. Really depends where you go. Some schools are more social justice oriented, others not. So it might be worth scoping out the political bent of the school you chose.

I don't actually identify with any political label at this point, but I have friends that run the gamut from liberal to conservative to libertarian. I like some libertarian philosophy but also see problems with it. I also think the the libertarian view of "natural rights" as inborn is quite debatable. I think "human rights" are an invention (and a good one), not something that exists a priori to our construction of legal norms and social ideals.

Anyways, not to get into too much political commentary, but my sense is that you will be able to find others in your camp in law school. Good luck!

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Given the extent to which law schools claim to value a diverse student body I am sure any given person would not be alone in whatever political belief they held at law school (aside for some obvious extremes).

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

Also I'd just add that law in general I would say attracts more conservative types than a lot of other programs. That is just my contention and not based on any studies (if anyone knows any I'd be curious to see them!). Just that law is all about conserving and preserving rules and shared norms, which is a very conservative impulse (and I think a healthy side of the conservative impulse). Of course law does also attract a lot of people that want to change the system as well, but I think law school is often sobering for people in realizing how slow things often are to change and at least puts change in perspective.

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I'm a libertarian. I felt the Johnson, twice!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

You are not alone. Fellow conservative here. Consider giving the Federalist Society a chance in law school.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

It's not so bad. I've always been a political oddball, and I've come to appreciate it.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

John Mill's is my main man.

The modern libertarian party, like all modern parties, is a freaking joke.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Whoa there @"Accounts Playable", keep your sex life yourself man, this is a community of academics!! Lol

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I think you'll be fine I'm a 'big ol liberal' (as this random dude in Starbucks pointed out last week - long story) and I live in the reddest possible state known to humanity- Texas. I'm able to find people I connect with and even if I don't, most reasonable people are open to dialogue. My best friend at work is a HUGE conservative. We literally disagree on everything political but we still get along really well.

• TheBushmaster0317TheBushmaster0317 Free Trial Member
    82 karma

I'm fiscally libertarian and classically liberal on most political issues. I was concerned about this myself as I already go to an extremely left school for undergrad. I still recommend you go to the best school possible even if your politics do not align with the schools.

I was given some pretty good advice about this by someone who has a similar mindset as us and went to T14. If you're thinking about going into politics later in life, going into a school where everyone is arguing for opposite agendas would be the perfect opportunity for you to learn the ins and outs of your political opponents arguments so you can crush them in debate later in life. However, if you're not going to law school for politics just keep your head down and try not to bring it up or do your best to ignore them. If the professors you come across are actually vile and harass students based on their political beliefs you can always become a very successful lawyer who makes buckets of money and then donates to the school later in life to get the professor fired.

I for one will just try to keep my head down and avoid any politically charged conversations. But whatever you decide to do good luck. There are still some great law schools that tend to lean on the right like Chicago, if you are concerned about harassment or being a loner. But, I don't think you will be alone wherever you end up. I think a lot of students like me have become sick of how polarized and divisive politics have become and will not care what your beliefs are.

On the off-chance things are absolutely dreadful wherever you end up I'll grab a beer with you lol

• SethDCorleySethDCorley Alum Member
    57 karma

Thank you guys!

57 karma

@TheBushmaster0317 I looooovvvee the thought of U of Chicago. The only law professor I listen to regularly, Richard Epstein, used to be the den there, and has a podcast from the Hoover Institution called "The Libertarian." Also, it's where Milton Friedman taught, and where James Q. Wilson, Walter Berns, and Thomas Sowell all got their PhD's. It's also Bernie Sander's alma mater, however. What a great place to see the free market off ideas thrive. I just don't want to go somewhere where violence against conservatives is okay, like Berkeley.

57 karma

@"Alex Divine" I love being the oddball, I was a Calvinist at a really theologically liberal seminary for undergrad. I've just found it's a lot of fun when you're not being it alone!

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

violence against conservatives is ok...? Like.... If that's not intentionally hyperbolic, I'd take a deep breath and calm down.

With all the conservative legal scholars, judges, conservative activist attorneys and republicans out there, you should find quite a few people to hang out with in school.

I would suggest that going to a school where you are somewhat of an ideological outlier could provide a lot more opportunity to hone your skills and receive direct engagement.

57 karma

@"vanessa fisher" I don't think of myself as a "natural rights" Libertarian, but an empirical libertarian. Meaning I align more with Fredrich Hayek, Milton Friedman, etc. than I do with guys like John Locke. That's about half of Libertarians in my (anecdotal) estimation.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think out of these options I more or less identify as libertarian above anything else. I don't refer to myself as one, but most of my friends are libertarians and I was president of my Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) charter in undergrad. So I definitely have some background with YAL, politically, and being the oddball.

Where did you go for undergrad?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@SethDCorley said:
    @"Alex Divine" I love being the oddball, I was a Calvinist at a really theologically liberal seminary for undergrad. I've just found it's a lot of fun when you're not being it alone!

Exactly, it is fun! I think it makes the bond between the "oddballs" much stronger :)

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Problem is that 7Sage is a self-selecting community of nice people! There are a lot of nasty people out there, and conservatives do sometimes have a hard time in school. Just look into the crazy stuff that was going on in some law schools last year, when Justice Scalia died.

57 karma

@username I know it's not literally okay per policy and law. I'm an exaggerator whenever I speak, it's gotten me into trouble a few times before hah. That was a quip about the Milo riots. To reiterate, I can grab a beer with anyone. And I went to school as an outlier for undergrad - great experience. I just like to know there are other people like me because when you are an outlier, it's nice knowing that there are people actually on your side :)

57 karma

@tringo335 I'm from the bluest state there is (I think) - CA. Funny, when I'm with somewhere culturally more conservative like the south, I actually don't like it. I wanna be a red guy around a bunch of cool,laid back blue people. Guess I just wanna have my cake and eat it too :P