Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation

goodbhaviourgoodbhaviour Free Trial Member

Hey 7Sagers!

In terms of submitting LOR to LSAC - once the professor gets the link, do they submit only one LOR and then we distribute the same letter to each law school? Or do they need to provide multiple/ tailor each LOR to the school...? Let's say you're applying to five, do you ask your professor for five? So lost....

Thanks YALL.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

@goodbhaviour said:
    In terms of submitting LOR to LSAC - once the professor gets the link, do they submit only one LOR and then we distribute the same letter to each law school?

Yes.

Or do they need to provide multiple/ tailor each LOR to the school...? Let's say you're applying to five, do you ask your professor for five? So lost....

No. They don't have to. If you want them to, they can.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

It's similar to transcripts. You only have to send one copy, and it will be distributed to the schools you apply to.

• goodbhaviourgoodbhaviour Free Trial Member
    54 karma

@akistotle said:

@goodbhaviour said:
    In terms of submitting LOR to LSAC - once the professor gets the link, do they submit only one LOR and then we distribute the same letter to each law school?

Yes.

Or do they need to provide multiple/ tailor each LOR to the school...? Let's say you're applying to five, do you ask your professor for five? So lost....

@Freddy_D said:
    It's similar to transcripts. You only have to send one copy, and it will be distributed to the schools you apply to.

Thanks so much guys! Would it be preferable/advisory to get my professors to write multiple? Not sure what is commonplace here...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@goodbhaviour said:

@akistotle said:

@goodbhaviour said:

Yes.

@Freddy_D said:

Thanks so much guys! Would it be preferable/advisory to get my professors to write multiple? Not sure what is commonplace here...

It's definitely not commonplace to get professors to write multiple letters. Most commonly students just get a standard LOR and submit them to all schools. What is a professors going to write differently in a LOR for Yale that she'd write different for Cornell? The only preferable way to have your prof tailor a LOR is maybe if they are an alum from the law school you're applying to or used to lecture there. Otherwise, just make their job easy and have them just write one standard LOR to send everywhere.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

ask them for 1 general LOR and then you send their 1 letter to different schools. if you want a school-specific LOR then you obv ask them for one regarding that specific school.

but general LORs is just 1 from them for all schools, not a different one for each school.

• goodbhaviourgoodbhaviour Free Trial Member
    54 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@goodbhaviour said:

@akistotle said:

@goodbhaviour said:

Yes.

@Freddy_D said:

It's definitely not commonplace to get professors to write multiple letters. Most commonly students just get a standard LOR and submit them to all schools. What is a professors going to write differently in a LOR for Yale that she'd write different for Cornell? The only preferable way to have your prof tailor a LOR is maybe if they are an alum from the law school you're applying to or used to lecture there. Otherwise, just make their job easy and have them just write one standard LOR to send everywhere.

Totally! I agree and this is what I was thinking as well, but I thought I would double check. Thank you everyone :)

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

No problem! Good luck.