Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A logic question

The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member

is it logically valid to conclude that if A-->B, then A+C -->B?

I am reviewing S3 Q19 from PT 51.
The correct AC seems to mobilize this reasoning.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 3279 karma

Disclaimer: I'm a newb, so you'll probably want to wait for someone more experienced to reply.

Are you using the + to indicate 'or' xor 'and'?
    I'm replying with the assumption of 'or'.

I do not think it is logically valid to draw that conclusion, because you leave open the possibility of A=0, C=1, B=1.

If they are saying A=1, C=1/0, then B=1, that is logically valid.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited August 2017 4423 karma

The above comment is right if + symbolizes or, but in my experience + is usually used to mean and. If that is the case, it is valid. If A implies B. Then A and C will always imply B. This is because A and C implies A and A implies B.

A-- >B
    A and C
    A (If you have both A and C you definitely have A)

B (A implies B and you have A so you have B )

P.S. I found that using the word implies in place of the conditional arrow clarifies things for me. Some people just say arrow or say A-->B as "If A then B." But I think it's important to have some way of thinking it as a word or group of words which expresses the meaning.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited August 2017 4423 karma

Edit: Posted explanation of spelling mistake in previous comment, but then remembered I could edit it.

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@10000019 Sorry I was not very precise in my diagram. I meant an "and".

662 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Thanks for the explanation! I did not think that "A and C" can always imply A, so the original conditional relationship can still work!

• Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    edited August 2017 218 karma

If it's A AND B then you know that BOTH A and B together are sufficient to trigger the necessary condition. On the other hand, if it's A OR B, then either A or B or both are sufficient to trigger the necessary condition. In that specific question, we get one condition that is sufficient for us to trigger the necessary condition. The premise states A-->B so it doesn't really matter in this specific instance, if we get A, B, C, D together. As long as we get A, we know that B must occur.

662 karma

@Patroclus got it! thanks for the explanation!