June 2017 RC from Hell -- Retrospective

LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
edited August 2017 in June 2017 LSAT 530 karma

I retook the RC from the June exam yesterday, and still missed 5 (on the actual exam I missed 7, wrecking my score). I've got to say, I am very confused about some of these questions, even upon review and under untimed conditions. Fair to say it's one of the hardest RC sections of all time? I had 2 RC sections on test day, and the experimental one was SO MUCH EASIER.

Is anyone who took the June exam willing to go back and forth about some of these questions?

How hard was this RC section, on a scale of 1 (easiest) to 5 (hardest)?
  1. Ranking RC from June 2017 from 1 (easiest) to 5 (hardest)22 votes
    1. 1 (like counting to ten)
        9.09%
    2. 2 (like learning about a jazz musician's impact on the industry)
        9.09%
    3. 3 (like dowsing for water)
      18.18%
    4. 4 (like understanding the differences between trial and appellate court structures)
      31.82%
    5. 5 (like the false assumption that one directly knows rather than infers one's own thoughts)
      31.82%

Comments

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I feel like the argument can be made for hardest ever. From what I can remember of my practice tests I only remember one other being as difficult (I can't remember offhand which that was however, just that it has a similarly vague and philosophical passage as the inference one). Though I will say that it's hard to say for certain because this was the actual test rather than practice. So I'm sure my nerves at the time/bias in wanting to justify my score play into it a bit.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Interestingly, on the Powerscore blog, one of their test prep experts claimed that it was a very average RC section.

2326 karma

@LSATiscoming I don't mind going back and forth about some of the questions. PM me.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

@uhinberg said:
    @LSATiscoming I don't mind going back and forth about some of the questions. PM me.

Awesome -- I'll shoot you over a message with some of the questions I had troubles with in a bit. Thank you!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

this makes me nervous to use it as a PT lol

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Interestingly, on the Powerscore blog, one of their test prep experts claimed that it was a very average RC section.

To this I would say, never trust just one opinion when it comes to something so subjective. They likely came to it with heightened expectations and so it might not seem as bad to them, or maybe they were more familiar with the subject matter, etc. Best to wait for 7Sagers to enter their answers on practice tests and see where the statistics land.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I found it extremely challenging, got a minus 6 on test day, haven't blind reviewed that section yet.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2017 617 karma

Maybe this is just me, but I didn't think it was a particularly challenging RC. Got -2 on the section on test day, which is about what I expected. But honestly, I think I just got lucky that there was no art passage (hallelujah), since I consistently found those the most challenging and time-consuming (having less than zero prior knowledge lol).

2326 karma

Glad to see that someone else find the Art passages the most difficult.