Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheat sheet for initial "plan of attack" strategies per LR q-type?

rockynrollrockynroll Member
edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 28 karma

Hi. My first post and was just wondering if JY has done anything like a concise summary (cheat sheet .pdf) that distills the initial "plan of attack" for each of the various LR question types. What I mean is, after reading the q-stem and determining q-type, a "go-to" guide for just the first few steps to take on that specific q-type, just so we can get rolling as fast as possible once we know q-type. This would be so helpful for developing and perfecting solid approaches for all of the various q-types, and it could be referred back to while working to improve strategy, reduce time per question, etc. With so many different LR q-types out there, something like this would be... awesome! If such an "LR q-type attack plan" cheat sheet already exists in 7Sage's materials (or elsewhere), please let us know; if one doesn't yet exist, please (JY, if you can hear me) do one for us ASAP. Thanks!

POLL - How beneficial would an "LR q-type attack plan" cheat sheet be for you?
  1. How beneficial would an "LR q-type attack plan" cheat sheet be for you?34 votes
    1. Extremely beneficial to me!
      94.12%
    2. Not sure...
        5.88%
    3. Not at all beneficial to me.
        0.00%

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Please clarify if your question relates to LG or LR. Your title and the section you posted in suggest LG, but your post suggests LR.

• rockynrollrockynroll Member
    28 karma

Didn't realize there were different sections to the discussion forum (newbie here). Will move it over to the LR section. Thx!

28 karma

Thanks so much for the great links!

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

Not sure about JY as well, but the LSAT Trainer does a pretty good job at boiling down the LR question types to the things you do differently in approaching them.

In fact, there's an exercise in the LSAT trainer where you have to have to sort all of the question types into a series of binary and ternary sets. I think it's one of the most valuable exercises in the book, and it's a good way to ensure you know when answers should be predicted, when and when not to be critical of the argument, how to handle and verify answers, etc. etc.

His prescribed methods vary slightly from other respected LSAT resources, but the majority of it is pretty applicable universally.

28 karma

Big thanks - I have the Trainer but must not have reached that section yet.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@rockynroll said:
    Hi. My first post and was just wondering if JY has done anything like a concise summary (cheat sheet .pdf) that distills the initial "plan of attack" for each of the various LR question types. What I mean is, after reading the q-stem and determining q-type, a "go-to" guide for just the first few steps to take on that specific q-type, just so we can get rolling as fast as possible once we know q-type. This would be so helpful for developing and perfecting solid approaches for all of the various q-types, and it could be referred back to while working to improve strategy, reduce time per question, etc. With so many different LR q-types out there, something like this would be... awesome! If such an "LR q-type attack plan" cheat sheet already exists in 7Sage's materials (or elsewhere), please let us know; if one doesn't yet exist, please (JY, if you can hear me) do one for us ASAP. Thanks!

I think a cheat sheet would be helpful if you are still learning each question type. A more helpful exercise may be creating one on your own. This will force you to evaluate where you still need some work and what you already have a good grasp of.

edited August 2017 28 karma

Thanks for the great feedback - will work on one of my own once I get a better grasp of all the different q-types. Still in that "incubation" phase (30% through the curriculum)...

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@rockynroll said:
    Thanks for the great feedback - will work on one of my own once I get a better grasp of all the different q-types. Still in that "incubation" phase (30% through the curriculum)...

Of course! And if you're still in the learning phase, I think the links above will help greatly :)