Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble

ryansinayryansinay Alum Member
in General 36 karma

I just completed PT60. I finished with a 160 and 165 on the BR. Reading comp is by far my biggest weakness. I usually average 7-11 wrong on RC. I've spent the last month focusing on LG and improved a lot averaging 2-4 wrong but I can't seem to improve at all on RC. Any advise on making any kind of improvement on RC?

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Have you gone through the new RC CC stuff? I think it may be useful tbh, I found it to be pretty useful and RC is my worst section as well!

• ryansinayryansinay Alum Member
    36 karma

What is the RC CC?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@ryansinay said:
    What is the RC CC?

under course --> syllabus

that's the CC (core curriculum). the part that says reading comprehension - science is fairly new. have you gone through that?

36 karma

I don't think so but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ryansinay said:
    I just completed PT60. I finished with a 160 and 165 on the BR. Reading comp is by far my biggest weakness. I usually average 7-11 wrong on RC. I've spent the last month focusing on LG and improved a lot averaging 2-4 wrong but I can't seem to improve at all on RC. Any advise on making any kind of improvement on RC?

It's hard to give global advice for RC without knowing a bit more.

Do you have a method or technique such as the memory method that you have practiced using? I think that's the place to start if you don't already. RC is hard to tackle if you just simply read it and then answer the questions without a greater strategy.

Of course, there's always some overall advice like reading for structure as opposed to details, actively reading and asking yourself about the purpose of each part of the passage.

I personally find visualizing the passage using 7Sage's memory method to work for me. I read The LSAT Trainer and MLSAT's RC book which also helped me too. I think the biggest breakthrough was realizing the common ways the LSAC can make RC -- which should be a seemingly straightforward and easy section -- challenging. For Example, they will do things like using the same language from the passage in the wrong answers to make you gravitate towards the while making something not seem right with the correct answer.

If you haven't done extensive work with RC then I think you'll get a lot out of just doing many RC passages with a strategy that works for you. RC does seem to take people the longest time to improve on. I've also found that experimenting with the time I take to read the passages and answer the questions has helped a bunch too. I used to aim to spend around 4 minutes reading the passages and 4 minutes answering the questions. I realized I did much better when I read the passages more deliberately, knowing what to look for as I read, which cut down my reading time. It gave me more time to answer the questions which was exactly what I needed.

Can you identify any specific problems you have with RC? Perhaps you feel too rushed or are having trouble with a certain question type?

36 karma

I think my biggest issue is not having a plan going into the section. I either feel like I'm rushing through the passage and not understanding everything that I am reading which then causes me to spend too much time on the questions having to go back to the reading or i take my time reading the passage to comprehend everything then have no time to answer the questions.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ryansinay said:
    I think my biggest issue is not having a plan going into the section. I either feel like I'm rushing through the passage and not understanding everything that I am reading which then causes me to spend too much time on the questions having to go back to the reading or i take my time reading the passage to comprehend everything then have no time to answer the questions.

Yeah, not having a plan is going to increase your odds of not only falling into many of the LSAC's traps, but also feeling flustered and unnerved while going through the section. If you haven't already try going through the lessons on RC and practicing the memory method. It takes some practice, however, once you get it down and have a strategy things will start to fall into place. That's at least a good place to start for now I'd say. Watching the lessons and the corresponding passages that JY does in the CC are quite valuable.