Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having Trouble with Sufficient Assumption Questions?

TeddyKGBTeddyKGB Alum Member
edited October 2014 in Logical Reasoning 112 karma
Here's a great bridging-type tip:

[Mock Stimulus]

Every weekday in Pleasantville the mayor goes home on lunch. Her husband is a stay-at-home father and architect. He has planned many buildings for the city of Pleasantville. They have been lauded as some of the most beautiful in existence. Last Tuesday there was an accident causing Main Street to be closed off. Therefore, the mayor did not get to see her husband for lunch.

Any new information in the conclusion must be included in the correct answer choice. The correct answer has to include something about not seeing her husband for lunch (either last Tuesday or a generalization about road closings and seeing him/he not being able to see her). Also, you're probably thinking "Cool, but couldn't he go see her for lunch?" or "Couldn't she take a side-street to get home?" or "Why couldn't they drive in opposite directions to two different airports, thereby flying to a destination in a previous timezone where it would still be lunch and they'd have awesome stone-baked authentic Italian pizza?"

[Mock Answer Choices]

A.) If one is the planner of the most beautiful buildings in existence then one will surely get a contract with the city of Pleasantville.

B.) If there is an accident on Main Street, the mayor cannot go to her favorite delicatessen for lunch.

C.) If the mayor's husband is busy working on a new and exciting project, then she will not get to see him on lunch.

D.) If Main Street is closed off, the mayor will not be able to see her husband for lunch.

E.) If the mayor does not see her husband on lunch, then she will fly to Disneyland.

-A.) is wrong because, really, what does landing city contracts have to do with anything?

-B.) is wrong because what does her favorite deli have to do with anything?

-C.) is wrong because we don't know if he is in fact working on any project. It requires an additional assumption.

-D.) is the correct answer because it bridges the loose ends. It says that if Main Street is closed, then there is no way they meet up on lunch.

-E.) is cool and I just hope she takes her lovely darling children.

Using this technique will allow you speedily check off incorrect answer choices that don't have the information pertaining to the conclusion. Hope this helps!

(I'm obviously not a test writer, but it should make sense, I hope.)

Comments

• SapphireSapphire Alum Member
    289 karma
    @TeddyKGB thank you so much for this. Im know going to try and do over all of the sufficient assumptions for JY to see if i can get the right answers now.