Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graduate work GPA

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in General 544 karma

Hello everyone,

I had a quick question regarding my undergraduate GPA. I am taking a graduate seminar with one of my school's political science professors. I am hoping that the extra exposure will result in a better letter or reccomendation. However, I was concerned about the possible ramifications on my GPA.

Will it be included in calculating my undergraduate GPA? Will it matter all that much to law school admissions?

Thank you!

Comments

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

Any grade you receive for a course that you take prior to receiving your first bachelor degree will be counted. As to how much one course will matter to an admissions officer, I should think minimally at best. The knowledge you gain and the exposure you get with your professor will be the biggest gains.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jackigoe said:
    Hello everyone,

I had a quick question regarding my undergraduate GPA. I am taking a graduate seminar with one of my school's political science professors. I am hoping that the extra exposure will result in a better letter or reccomendation. However, I was concerned about the possible ramifications on my GPA.

Will it be included in calculating my undergraduate GPA? Will it matter all that much to law school admissions?

Thank you!

Yes, this will count for you uGPA the LSAC calculates. I'm sure you'll do well so I don't think any negative ramifications will come of this. It won't really matter all that much to law school admissions but if it helps secure a better LOR and GPA for you, then it's totally going to have a net positive effect.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Thank you @nevadacity37 and @"Alex Divine". I am just trying to balance the potential hit to my GPA with the benefits of receiving a better letter.

Appreciate the advice!

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

@jackigoe said:
    Thank you @nevadacity37 and @"Alex Divine". I am just trying to balance the potential hit to my GPA with the benefits of receiving a better letter.

Appreciate the advice!

No problem. It is wise to make such considerations. I completely concur with "Alex Divine's" analysis. I wish you the best, and just crush that class and you have the best of both worlds!