Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Irritated and frustrated

LRae2017LRae2017 Member
edited September 2017 in General 32 karma

Hi guys,
I have been with 7SAGE for a few months now. I am only on the MSS section of the course. I find myself irritated and frustrated every time I sit down to study. I walk away from studying more confused then the time before. I have paid and am preparing to take the LSAT in December. I think I am finding excuses now to stay away from studying when I used to study every day for 2 hours. I have a lot in this so I can't give up so I guess I am just looking for reassurance. I have quit my big girl job and we even pay to keep my child in daycare a few times a week just so I can study. The Main Point part really confused me so once I got through the last section of it I was super stoked to start something new. Well I get to MSS and its JUST like the Main Point section.. I know my biggest issue is not being able to identify the Premise and the Conclusion. I even went back and RESTARTED all the lessons again and am still at a loss.

Sorry for all my complaining but if you would like to complain with me please comment below or leave some really amazing great advice instead :)

Good luck everyone!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Main point questions are the foundation of the LR section. Nearly every question type requires of us the ability to identify and separate the main point from the supporting premise(s). The importance of identifying the main point of a stimulus simply cannot be understated.

Given this, my recommendation would be to try breaking down the grammatical structure of the stimulus. Try paying particularly close attention to indicator words like: "for, since, because." What do they signify when present in the argument? Try putting together your own arguments that mirror those in the stimulus. Remember, when you see a question stem asking you to identify the main point, there must be, by definition, some sort of support for that contention. Ask yourself: "what is this argument trying to convince me of?"

The reassurance I can provide you is that with enough practice and with enough digging into the nuts and bolts of arguments, you can indeed get to the point where you can categorize and separate various aspects of the argument as you read it for the first time. Many test takers do this.

Best,
    David

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

My apologies for the double post, but as far as breaking down and argument's structure, the grammar lessons in 7Sage's core curriculum are very helpful.

Here is a link:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/grammar-subject-predicate-details/

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2017 13286 karma

Everything, and I mean everything in LR depends on your being able to identify the main point (conclusion) and the support (premise). There is no point in moving on until you can do this, because everything else requires this in LR.

That being said, it's totally doable. You might just need to look at it a bit differently.

EXAMPLE:

• Cats are soft. They are low maintenance. They are cute. Therefore cats are the best pet.

If I asked you to read that like I was selling you something, what would you identify my final sales line?

Do you see how "soft", "low maintenance" and "cute" are the reasons I give for buying the cat? They are what support my claim that "cats are the best pet."

This shows that "soft", "low maintenance" and "cute" are my premise and "cats are the best pet" is my conclusion.

Another important thing to master are conclusion indicators. These are words that tell you someone is going to conclude their argument.

So.....
    Therefore...
    It follows...
    In conclusion...

These will not always be present but when they are they 're a good indication of a conclusion.

A third way to go about it is to ask yourself - "So what? What is this person trying to convince me of?"

EXAMPLE

• The San Jose Sharks are the best NHL team. They have the coolest uniform. They have the best players and the best mascot.

What am I trying to convince you of here? Is it that the uniforms are best? No not really, each thing refers back to something. "They" refers back to the San Jose Sharks. So each thing is directing you back to that. I am trying to convince you (not wrongly) that the San Jose Sharks are the best NHL team.

It takes time to get good at this. You can do it though I have faith.

To address your other points, studying sucks. Everyone knows that - but if you have a goal and want to achieve it, this is one step along the way. Have faith in yourself and remember what you are going after!!

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Simon Sinek- Start With Why
    https://startwithwhy.com/

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

There is certain level of pressure form outside that makes you frustrated and irritated. The fact that you quit your job and you pay to take your child to daycare just to study. Those are big factors that psychologically mess with you and make you stressed about the fact that you HAVE TO do amazing at LSAT because look at all this sacrifice you made. So every time you get the question wrong, do not understand the lesson, etc you get irritated. Take a deep breath and make sure you change your approach to studying. You need to take as much time as it takes to nail the test and sometimes it takes years. Furthermore, seriously consider not taking LSAT in December, if you are three months away and you cannot quite identify the conclusion you need more time to study.

• LRae2017LRae2017 Member
    32 karma

Thank you all for the helpful hints and the kind words. @LSATcantwin @BinghamtonDave I have studied the indicator words and have a pretty good hold on them. I swear they are not in MOST of the paragraphs I am learning now lol. I completely get the sentences you wrote out, I just am having more trouble with the more confusing ones. The huge long paragraphs that are of course there to mess with me. They are winning. I do appreciate the help! I will again go over it all. It seems as if it is what everyone is trying to get a hold on. @Kateryna YES! Very true. Pushing the LSAT out is what I have been afraid of :/ This is all great information I am appreciative of all of your comments. Thank you!!

• LRae2017LRae2017 Member
    32 karma

@"Trust But Verify" I just started checking him out the other day. I appreciate this I will take a look. It is what I needed!