Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hurricane Irma... would LSAC reschedule?

KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
in General 172 karma

Hi all,

I'm scheduled to take the LSAT on the 16th in Southeast Florida. Looks like Irma is gonna be hitting us big time, and we're being told we could lose power like we did back when Wilma came through 11(?) years ago. (When Wilma hit, we literally lost power in the entirety of the southern region of Florida for two-four weeks. It was crazy; there wasn't any light pollution and we could all see stars in the sky at night.) Anyway, if that happens to us (fingers crossed it won't), would the LSAC offer an alternate test date? I've counted out how many test centers would be effected, and at least down by me it'll be hitting 14 test sites. I have a hard time seeing the test still happening if there's no power at the test centers, and if people are literally unable to get to the centers because of all the damage. But I'm also retaking and am kind of freaking out that I'll have to postpone until December because of the stupid hurricane. Does anyone have the details on the LSAC's reschedule/cancelation policy due to natural disasters?

Thanks!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

The LSAC will do everything they can to accommodate for situations like this. They released a statement saying they are working on ways to help those impacted by Harvey in Texas. Unfortunately there is not much more we can say at this time. It wouldn't hurt to call the LSAC and ask them, they might give you a free transfer to the December test, or have a rescheduled date it's really hard to know. Sorry I can't be any more of a help!

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

Hi @Katharine. Residents in Southeast Texas recently affected by Hurricane Harvey were notified today that they had the option to either reschedule to December 2017 or February 2018 free of charge, or request a test center location change for the September LSAT.

• lawschoolhopeful13lawschoolhopeful13 Alum Member
    43 karma

I just spoke to the LSAC. I am registered to take it on the 16th in Miami. They informed me that any test center that is severely impacted will 100% have a makeup rescheduled, and details will be released as soon as possible.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

good to know!

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

@lawschoolhopeful13 thank you! I emailed them as well, but they didn't email me back with any specific information like that. It's what I was hoping they'd say. (Seriously - if they just "let us" take the December exam free of charge I will not be happy. The timing of the December exam would 100% throw off getting in applications early(ish).)

• Meli62695Meli62695 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

I live in Gainesville FL, so I am also concerned about hurricane Irma. Please if you have any updates about the LSAT being rescheduled updates would be super helpful. I would likewise be upset if they made us wait until December to take the LSAT.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Member
    53 karma

Just called the LSAC. The person on the phone was very clear that if/when my centre would be affected, the LSAC will send out an email with potential options. She would not tell me what those options would be. I'm assuming from reading previous threads on similar topics they will either try to hold a test soon afterwards OR give a free registration to the December test.
    Again, the woman on the phone was very adamant that she could not confirm or deny what the LSAC will do in that situation.

Also, she assured me it would be possible to change test center locations to an area that would not be affected - so long as I can get there.

Kind of a hard choice to make :(

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

@ArtVandelay I received an email with a very similar response. The email did tell me that if we do decide to go for the center change, the deadline is the 11th. It's not a great option. I mean, by Monday if the damage is bad enough to close the test center, I probably won't have wifi/cell reception, and leaving the area probably won't even be an option. So, yikes. Fingers seriously crossed for 1. the center being okay, or 2. LSAC giving us a new date.