PT77.S2.Q18 - historian: those who claim that shakespeare

HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Logical Reasoning 65 karma

Can anybody tell me what this answer choice is exactly saying? I just want to know what it's trying to say because I don't think I'm completely understanding it.

It was a flaw in reasoning question (Preptest December 2015, Section 2, LR, Question 18.)

Answer Choice E from this particular question says "makes use of an assumption that one would accept only if one has already accepted the truth of the conclusion."

This may be a dumb question, but I really can't figure out what this answer choice is exactly saying... can someone explain this for me? Thanks so much!

pleasebeafriend

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-77-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• Raptor95Raptor95 Free Trial Member
    21 karma

E) refers to circular reasoning essentially restating the premise as a conclusion to justify an argument. Example: Im telling the truth because I'm not lying. 9/10 times this is wrong on a LSAT LR, I've seen this happen once. It was a question about a detective in one the 40s PT.

• HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
    65 karma

@Raptor95 thanks so much!

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Like Raptor said, it is circular reasoning. If you see something similar to this wording on the actual test - don't think about it too much. The wording is confusing but the choice itself sounds bit 'circular', which should hint at that concept to you.