Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-10 on LR with BR...

I'm not too sure what to do, I mean, I'm not doing PTs yet - I just want to focus on improving on each section before starting ahead w the PTs. Should I just keep working away at sections from PTs for LR? Is that the best way to improve?

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Do you mean -10 on one LR section or on 2 together? If one, then you definitely should not be doing PTs before getting much better. Have you gone through the entire core curriculum? Is there any type of question that's been particularly vexing?

• law hopefullaw hopeful Member
    65 karma

@uhinberg Nope, unfortunately, I mean on one section... I have gone through the entire core curriculum... and haven't really noticed much of a pattern on the certain question types I'm missing.

2326 karma

How long have you been studying for?

65 karma

@uhinberg Since July.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I would suggest staying away from full sections, instead focus on sets of specific question types and work on identifying similarities between them

2326 karma

Well, that's not too long. I'd try to drill a ton to improve before moving on to PTs.

65 karma

@uhinberg @nathanieljschwartz Should I go back to the CC and print out the question types and drill?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

you haven't studied long at all, give it time.

Have you gone through the whole LR curriculum yet? if not, do that and do the corresponding drill sets.

Do question type drilling for LR and you will see patterns in each Q type.

It is going to take a lot of work, but LR is very systematic with how to do each question type which is the good thing. Like I said, do Q type drills and you will see patterns.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Yeah that and maybe split up the first 15 to 20 PTs and use them for drilling also.
    The main focus should be locating premise/conclusion and then looking for what the stem is asking for

edited September 2017 65 karma

@TheMikey I have gone through the LR curriculum, everything made sense during the LR (to an extent - I was doing really well w the printout drills!) as I was going through it - I haven't touched LR in so long and I'm going through it today and I'm like "??? I can't really be that dumb, can I?" I am going to try to use the PT before 35 to drill through the sections, and take my time to really understand the question stems/stimulus and hopefully I should see an improvement there? I know timing will come w accuracy and understanding... Right?

65 karma

@nathanieljschwartz Thank you :) I'll try that & hopefully I will see some sort of improvement! lol :)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"law hopeful" said:
    @TheMikey I have gone through the LR curriculum, everything made sense during the LR (to an extent - I was doing really well w the printout drills!) as I was going through it - I haven't touched LR in so long and I'm going through it today and I'm like "??? I can't really be that dumb, can I?" I am going to try to use the PT before 35 to drill through the sections, and take my time to really understand the question stems/stimulus and hopefully I should see an improvement there? I know timing will come w accuracy and understanding... Right?

yes, timing will come with familiarity. the better you know how to approach questions, the faster you will do them. easier questions will become questions you fly through in 30 seconds, trust me.

You just have to really put the time and hard work in. Learn all of the different crap each question type asks of you and you'll be good. Return to the CC if needed and then drill.

yes, you should do that with the pre-35 PT's. But really understand the stimulus and then make up explanations for each answer choice as to why 4 are wrong and why the right answer is right. it is time consuming and annoying, but you will see progress eventually.

65 karma

@TheMikey Thank you, I really hope so too... I'm about to go through a section now of an older PT now, so I mean, I don't know how much of an improvement I'll see... but, it's worth a shot. I don't think I've been working as hard as I need too, I need to push it into full gear because I really want to put this exam behind me and never have to write it again lol.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If you need to, OP, go back through the entire CC again. I decided to and it was likely one of the best decisions I made during my prep. I recommend going through the CC and treating it just like a college course. Take notes, ask questions (right here on the forum) and do your problem sets as homework. Don't just do the drill sets to get the question right, but strive for understanding and crafting useful habits and skills that will serve you well when you do begin PT'ing.

If you're missing 10/25 questions, I think there must be some foundational things you're not understanding. The fact that you say there are no overt patterns also leads me to think this as well.