Following instructions/Colorado law application

Hi all!

I have a silly question that I couldn't answer on my own, and I feel it's worth the risk of looking foolish on here just to ensure I end up submitting this application correctly. I'm applying to Colorado Law and they have a somewhat specific prompt with a part 1 and an optional part 2. Here are the instructions from their website:

The personal statement requirement provides you an opportunity to present yourself to the Admissions Committee. It is to be submitted with your electronic LSAC application. The personal statement for fall 2018 is below. Your essay must be in your own words, double-spaced, and should not exceed 1,000 words. Supported file formats include: doc, htm, html, txt, PDF, wp, wpd, rtf, wps, wpt and docx.

Personal Statement Prompt for 2018
At Colorado Law, we seek students who advance our core values of character, diversity, leadership, and commitment to service.
Part 1: Explain how you can contribute to these goals. You may also discuss any other factors that you think may assist the Admission Committee's evaluation of your application, such as: background information; experiences, talents or special interests; adversities you have overcome; and your reasons for applying to law school.

Part 2: (Optional): In considering applicants for scholarship awards, Colorado Law considers not only academic merit, but also economic need and obstacles, personal background, and a wide variety of individual qualities, so you may submit a statement of up to 500 words on any one or more of the following: (a) aspects of your upbringing, life experiences, work or service experiences, or education that you believe set you apart from most law school applicants; (b) economic disadvantage or other obstacles you have overcome in pursuing your education or career thus far and in applying to law school; (c) how you think you will contribute to society with your law degree; and/or (d) your financial need for increased money to fund your legal education.

So, it seems that one could interpret this in one of two ways:
1) One essay consisting of (part 1+ part 2) that together do not exceed 1,000 words or
2) Two separate essays consisting of a 1,000 word limit for part 1 and a second, separate essay with a 500 word limit for part 2
Additionally, if I decided to forego the optional part 2 portion, that would mean I could use the 1,000 words all on part 1.... right?

What are your thoughts? The main reason I'm putting so much weight on this being correct is because of this Q&A with Colorado admissions and USN which just got me all worked up:

1. What are some of the most common mistakes that applicants make that hurt their chances of being accepted?

The most common mistake applicants made is failing to follow instructions, which differ from school to school. Some applicants ignore deadlines and fail to pay attention to details, such as addressing our specific essay topics in their personal statements or not submitting our two required recommendation letters.

So yes, any words of wisdom you guys have on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Instructions Interpretations
  1. Which way do you interpret these instructions?14 votes
    1. One essay consisting of (part 1+ part 2) that together do not exceed 1,000 words
      50.00%
    2. Two separate essays consisting of a 1,000 word limit for part 1 and a second, separate essay with a
      50.00%
    3. Neither of these...
        0.00%

Comments

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

I think they are giving you the option of basically combining a personal statement with a diversity statement. So if you want to just stick with the required part 1 you totally can, but it is also allowed to discuss the topics in part 2.

• gloriaurbina7gloriaurbina7 Alum Member
    77 karma

I would strongly suggest you call Colorado Law Admissions to clarify the prompt.

I also agree with ^^ Part 2 seems like a diversity statement.

• Emily_B.Emily_B. Alum Member
    10 karma

Thank you for your feedback! I'm going up for a tour soon, so I might use the opportunity to clarify things with Admissions before submitting. Thanks again!

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

Hey, I'm also applying to Colorado Law, and I'm going up for a tour and class observation on Friday! Maybe I'll see you there next year. But, it seems like it is asking for one personal statement that is not to exceed 1,000 words. One part is mandatory the and other optional. That is my take. If you find out otherwise, please let me know!

10 karma

So fun,@zmeeker91 I hope you enjoy! I agree with than interpretation. So if I did decide to do the optional portion, you think it would be an entirely separate 500 word document that doesn't have any bearing on the required portion? Thanks for your feedback!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Interesting, the poll results are split but I feel like it is most likely asking for 1 essay that is essentially a personal statement and diversity statement combined. The diversity aspect is optional though. If you do call or ask admissions, be sure to update us so that everyone here is clear too!

10 karma

Thanks @"Leah M B"! That is how I've heard other people interpret this as well. Like you could just do the 1,000 word part 1 and call it a day, or you would have 500 words be dedicated to part 1 and 500 words be dedicated to part 2 within the same document if you chose to do the diversity statement part. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on what I learn!

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 99 karma

@Emily_B I meant to ask when I was there, but I forgot. Interesting sitting in on a contracts class and watching the Socratic method in action. I think it would be one essay, and if you decide to do the second part it would not exceed 500 words + part 1 that would then not be allowed to exceed 500 words (if you used the max on the second part). Overall 1000 is the maximum word count is my guess.