Getting In Touch with Teachers - Graduated in 2014

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member

Hey everyone! I graduated school in 2014. I was a good student, but not 'the best' though some teachers did take notice of me and some served as recommenders for jobs, or school activities. I haven't spoken to these teachers in a really long time, maybe 2-3 years. Is there a way I can gradually get back in touch with them for LORs for the Fall 2018 cycle?

Comments

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I was in the same boat and reconnected with my main academic recommender (my second recommendation will be my current employer) when I visited my alma mater in May; after chatting for 30 minutes over coffee, he actually offered to write a rec unprompted. If you're going to homecoming or some kind of alumni event, that's a great time to reach out to profs and catch up - and then you can ask them for a rec either in person or in an e-mail afterward. If it's just not feasible for you to get back to campus, then a cold e-mail is fine - just include an updated resume and comment on certain things you'd like them to highlight.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Hmmm. I'd say just be straight forward with them about it. They're most likely busy and it would probably be better if you just be straight up with them about the LOR.

Just shoot them an email reminding them who you are (name, class you took with them, grade you got, etc). if you are close to your undergrad then maybe mention meeting up and chatting with them as well?

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

Just initiate contact and see what happens. I had to reach out to my professor from 1999 a few weeks ago. I sent an email with my resume attached and made the request. I offered to meet for coffee to have a face to face discussion and catch up. She wrote back by the end of the day (remembered me as her research assistant and asked what spurred my interest in law school. I responded and she submitted less than a week later and sent me a copy. Worse case scenario ask your employer.