Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Essay Length

EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Law School Admissions 224 karma

I feel like I'm overwriting simply because I have so much to say (even though a majority might just be me ranting LOL). As of now my Personal Statement and Diversity Statement are both 5 pages. I still have to edit them, so that'll probably shorten them a bit.

But my question is, roughly how long should the Personal Statement & Diversity Statement be?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Bay Area" said:
    I feel like I'm overwriting simply because I have so much to say (even though a majority might just be me ranting LOL). As of now my Personal Statement and Diversity Statement are both 5 pages. I still have to edit them, so that'll probably shorten them a bit.

But my question is, roughly how long should the Personal Statement & Diversity Statement be?

It is school specific. Most schools require PS between 2-3 pages. DS probably 1-2 pages.

5 pages is almost definitely too long.

Mine ended up being a bit longer than I wanted in the beginning, but through some editing, I was able to get it down to my desired length.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Alex Divine" is right; mine is about 850 words (2.5 pages).

Good luck :)

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I think the more succinctly you can make your personal statement - without losing your voice - the better. The readers have to read hundreds if not thousands of personal statements. Make your personal statement interesting, but easy to read too :)