Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS with Intellectual Theme

I was told by a former professor that the best personal statements he's seen for graduate schools often have some intellectual theme that is cited in the writing. For instance, having some academic's theory influence your decision making or perspective. However, that really does not fit in well with my personal statement.

Is that advice at all valid? Would an intellectual theme strengthen my personal statement if I could incorporate it?

Thanks!

Comments

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited September 2017 7331 karma

An intellectual theme could be great—but it sounds like it won’t work for you. That’s totally fine! I myself have seen more good personal statements without an overarching intellectual theme than with.

• That's helpful! Thank you.

• yougchLSATyougchLSAT Alum Member
    71 karma

A graduate school "statement of purpose" is totally different, just saying. Grad school professors look at applicants as potential future academics and colleagues who will contribute to their area. Law school admissions officers probably don't think of you that way.