Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time LR Drills?

LsatTonyLsatTony Alum Member

Hi everyone,

I'm about to go through the LR Drill packs, but before I do, I have a question about how to use them most effectively.

If I'm drilling only Flaw questions, for instance, should I drill them under timed conditions? In other words, should I pick out 25 and try to do those in 35 minutes? Or should I just not worry about time at all.

I'm at the stage where I have difficulty with certain question types, but I'm definitely beyond that "initial learning" stage.

Thanks so much for you help :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LsatTony said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm about to go through the LR Drill packs, but before I do, I have a question about how to use them most effectively.

If I'm drilling only Flaw questions, for instance, should I drill them under timed conditions? In other words, should I pick out 25 and try to do those in 35 minutes? Or should I just not worry about time at all.

I'm at the stage where I have difficulty with certain question types, but I'm definitely beyond that "initial learning" stage.

Thanks so much for you help :)

I would do the questions themselves untimed and mix in some timed sections w/ blind review.

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

Hey @LsatTony I think you should do the flaw questions untimed to begin with, especially if you are having trouble with them (or any other LR type you are having trouble with). While doing it untimed, just really focus on the correct approach to the question. Also, spend a lot of time reviewing. Over time, as you do more questions (with good review) you will just get faster and faster. I think you should start timing yourself after you begin to feel more comfortable with the question type(s). At least that is what has worked for me!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I wouldn't suggest doing more than 5 at a time. Keeping the batch count low will let you focus on local strategies like IDing the flaw, rereading the stimulus, and eliminating AC. Going beyong that, roughly speaking, you begin to enter additional realms like endurance, skipping, and circling. Not to mention that by increasing the batch size, you will be lengthening your feedback loop. I think it's best to do 5, BR, ID any cookie cutter flaws, and watch the videos if necessary before moving on to the next batch.

In other words, should I pick out 25 and try to do those in 35 minutes? Or should I just not worry about time at all.

It sounds like this would be better utilized later on in your prep after you've worked on some of the weaknesses in QTs. When your there, don't use the drill packs for these because you'll want to return to the exercise above throughout your prep and if you use up all the drill pack questions early, drilling QT will not be as easy. Timed sections are a GREAT exercise, but I really believe it is a high level practice. There is so much going on in a timed section like dealing panic, time management, circling strategies, skipping, etc. These are difficult to learn and trying to learn them while you are simultaneously learning the cookie cutter QTs is not efficient.

I suppose I am of the belief that timed sections are best used once your BR score is at your target score. Prior to that, your foundations aren't strong enough to benefit from it.